I get the Friedman hype

mystixboi

I finally get the Friedman hype… When I was gigging musician, I used to play clubs and venues with half stacks. Over the years I played with Soldano, Bogner, Fryette, etc. Over the last couple years, I condensed my rig since I am only playing at home and going out for occasional jams. Last year, I went all digital after selling my last tube amp a 5153. I got a line 6 HX stomp.

I loved it for the most part but I got tired of spending more time tweaking than playing. I picked up a Friedman Runt 20 head and a BE-OD deluxe.

Tonight, I went to my friends Rehearsal studio because I wanted to be able to crank up my gear so I took my amp and pedalboard with me. The first thing that my friend said to me was “where is your amplifier? That thing? It’s tiny.

I plugged the head into two Marshall 4 x 12 cabinets. I said the volume to 1 1/2 and ripped an open court. He mediately said “holy shit. That’s Amazing”. Then I realize that I had my humbucker split. I untapped it and then played the same chord.

His jaw just dropped. It was the most glorious hot rodded Marshall tone I’ve heard in years. I spent the next few hours in the room by myself trying different settings and playing some backing tracks. Getting to hear the amp at such a high volume is amazing. I never even pushed the amp past three because it was so loud. I could easily play a gig with just this amp and zero pedals. It is the dynamic and versatile.

If memory serves, this is the lowest cost Friedman amplifier. I can’t imagine how good the line gets after this.

I believe the hype.

I wasn’t too impressed with the Runt 50 but that’s the only Friedman I’ve ever gotten to touch. I really want to plug into a Browneye sometime.

I was looking at the Runt 20 (or possibly the 50) the last time I was in the market. I ended up with a PRS Archon 50, but reading this post makes me want to definitely pick one up next.

Congrats on the new toy.

By the way how do you like the BE-OD? When I had mine it felt a little too overly mushy, and I ended up flipping it.

I have the be od deluxe. imho, I get better tone out of my katana artist. I never gelled with this pedal at all.
I would like to try it in front of a good fender clean though.
I bought the pedal in April and it's currently for sale on cL.
I should post it here in the classifieds actually.

Awesome man!!

Dude, I'm older than crap and can barely remember stuff but I know years ago you and I were on either this forum or HC and would talk about amps and tones, so we like similar stuff. I have the JJ. Jr. which I believe is alot like the Runt but a bit more gain from the JJ side? I jammed with some friends and we were playing really loud, and my amp wasn't above probably 11 o'clock and going thru a Friedman 1x12. I really need to get a 4x12 with it. Would be awesome.

I know some people don't care for the Friedman amps, which is totally cool, but for me they are my tone. I always was a Marshall tone guy and the Friedman brought some of that feel but with different mids and more gain. Takes pedals great and I use a Keeley D&M boost with mine. I can turn the gain down quite a bit, then get some edge with that pedal.

I liked the BE OD pedal I had and used it with my Fractal AxeFx with great results. I need to get another one to try with my clean channel of the Friedman and my Keeley amp.

Nice dude! Those Friedman mini heads are awesome. There is definitely something special about the 100 watt heads, a warmth and fullness that the littler ones can't match (though still amazing in their own right).

Pentatonic":2kmo0w3z said:
I was looking at the Runt 20 (or possibly the 50) the last time I was in the market. I ended up with a PRS Archon 50, but reading this post makes me want to definitely pick one up next.

Congrats on the new toy.

By the way how do you like the BE-OD? When I had mine it felt a little too overly mushy, and I ended up flipping it.

I like the BE-OD just fine… actually, I like the blue(less gain) channel more. That channel with a boost to tighten it up a bit is amazing. I don’t get that sag vibe at all when I play it. What amp were you running through?

romanianreaper":3m8p4tm9 said:
Awesome man!!

Dude, I'm older than crap and can barely remember stuff but I know years ago you and I were on either this forum or HC and would talk about amps and tones, so we like similar stuff. I have the JJ. Jr. which I believe is alot like the Runt but a bit more gain from the JJ side? I jammed with some friends and we were playing really loud, and my amp wasn't above probably 11 o'clock and going thru a Friedman 1x12. I really need to get a 4x12 with it. Would be awesome.

I know some people don't care for the Friedman amps, which is totally cool, but for me they are my tone. I always was a Marshall tone guy and the Friedman brought some of that feel but with different mids and more gain. Takes pedals great and I use a Keeley D&M boost with mine. I can turn the gain down quite a bit, then get some edge with that pedal.

I liked the BE OD pedal I had and used it with my Fractal AxeFx with great results. I need to get another one to try with my clean channel of the Friedman and my Keeley amp.

Hey man! I remember you for sure! I have always wanted an amp with a bell-like clean tone and hot rodded Marshall tone. This amp hit the nail on the head. So good… especially with a clean boost hitting the dirty channel. My amp journey has been a long one, but I’m super happy where I am now. I haven’t played an amp where I just smile almost the entire time I play it. It’s pretty inspiring.

Congrats!

I remember being quite impressed with the DS 40 when I tried it. Was very inspiring with just an LP or Strat plugged straight in.

I picked up a JJ Jr a month or so ago and really like it. Took me a minute to gel with it due to the thickness of the tone at first. Was using primarily a DSL before I landed the JJ and I must have had that thing dialed in really bright! Now that I have it dialed in more towards my taste, it is pretty sweet.

Mine is pushing a 1960B with greenbacks. I also have a V30 loaded 1960 and a Friedman SS cab which I find to be quite a bit darker than the greenback loaded cab. But that was before I messed with the EQ more on the amp. Need to give the SS another shot.

It is louder than I thought it would be as well. That 20 watt power section pushes out some volume and girth!

MetalHeadMike":nb56fyhp said:
Congrats!

I remember being quite impressed with the DS 40 when I tried it. Was very inspiring with just an LP or Strat plugged straight in.
Fuck I need another Dirty Shirley!

One of my clients passed away late last year, and the widow reached out to me since he had a mint Scumback 212 cab with Tuki covers, and a Pink Taco.

I bought them both, and put the PT through it's paces. A lot of tones from that amp, as long as you know what you're dialing in with the 3 way switch. Hooked it up to a quad of M75's after trying all the rest of my speakers and it barks pretty good.

I know there's a lot of hype with some amp builders, but I never really got that from Dave since I've known him before the amp line came out when he was still doing mods, boards and switching systems.

Never too late to come to the party, though! LOL

DeathbyButterslax":msekaktf said:
The Runt series is honestly over looked, I really like the feel they have. They also take boost pedals really well
Honestly I blame a Runt 20 and 212 for making me buy my last Les Paul! LOL! Sounded so gat dam good through the Runt that I had to walk out of the store with the LP.

JerEvil":gvaf9v2w said:
MetalHeadMike":gvaf9v2w said:
Congrats!

Just fucking grab one man...could be dead next week right...do it while ya can ;) If I hit the power ball this week I'll send ya one or two :LOL: :LOL:

MetalHeadMike":1u0s4efx said:
JerEvil":1u0s4efx said:
MetalHeadMike":1u0s4efx said:
Congrats!

Just fucking grab one man...could be dead next week right...do it while ya can ;) If I hit the power ball this week I'll send ya one or two :LOL: :LOL:
Man I need to also start making the 30 minute drive to CA to play the lotto.

Back