New JCM800 vs used Diezels: which would you choose

I'm looking for a new amp to match with the rest of my gear. Got a crappy Norlin LPC for $2200, may not be the very best but its alright.

My guitar goes straight to a Friedman Golden Pearl then a Marshal DSL100HR - 1960A.. again sounds fine. I swapped out a pair of those horrendous T75s with Vintage 30s and they seem to compliment each other well. Its not even that I don't like my sound atm, I fully admit I just wanna burn a bunch of cash on an amp for the fun of it.

Unfortunately I happen to live in South Korea where literally nobody plugs a guitar into an amplifier, so the new stuff is either uunavailable or crazy overpriced and the used market is pretty dead. I see the same crap get bumped for months and its still there. damn

I first plan on getting either an Orange 412 or a Marshall 1960BX that I'll put a pair of V30s into, saving up for that rn. As for the head itself, I can get a new JCM800 shipped from Thomann or pick up a random Diezel on the used market. For some reason I only see rectifiers and Diezels on the used amp market here, I don't like the recto voicing so its the 2203x or a Hagen/Herbert MK1/MK3, or whatever comes up next.

As weird as it may seem I'd like to reiterate we only have Diezels and Mesas on the used market here theses days. Lol... To me thats kinda crazy. I haven't seen a Marshall head in the past year or so. There were some Bogners and 5150IIs but haven't seen one of those in ages as well. Oh yeah theres a random custom order Cornford MK100 with a matching 412 for $4800. Dunno bout that

So it really is either a Diezel or a JCM800 and if anyone has used one or the other/both then I'd like to hear what the experience was like. I play some heavy rock and metal but its nothing too crazy. Mastodon/Alice In Chains/Deftones/TOOL level of heaviness. I know if someone was to get them new theres a considerable price difference between the two but its not as big for the options I'm considering from the given situation. Obviously they are like apples and oranges (or so I heard, I won't know 100% cuz I've played neither), not like your comparing a Bogner with a Friedman or something. I just want to know what the amps are like and how nice it was to play them.

Thomann does have a good price on the EL34 Diezels but after shipping + taxes it would still be out of my budget. If a certain amp IS in my budget (1.5k - 3k) we don't have it here. Sad days

Thanks yall in advance!

Depends on the era and specific style of "hard rock" you play.

From the bands you'd mentioned, I would go diezel; but if it was ME, I would go 800 (and probably send it to redplated for a MOAB mod)

Just get what’s available first . I think Marshall’s and diezels blend together . So down road get the other if possible. Both are great

Just get what’s available first . I think Marshall’s and diezels blend together . So down road get the other if possible. Both are great
Together they are a force!

gV7uCZXh.jpg

Really depends on how you like your mids. The VH4 mids and highs sounded dull in my rig however the Herbert works great. Probably because i tune down to B.
800 is killer and has that marshall bite but it won't have the lows and fullness that the diezels have.

Back