Post Pics Of Your Home Studio !

IMG_1181.jpeg
IMG_1183.jpeg
IMG_1184.jpeg

Are you recording live cymbals with E drumpads? How do you record both together and in time? I am interested in doing this.
Yeah, my drummer hates the feel of the Roland cymbal pads, especially the hi hat. He spent a lot of time getting the drum mix exactly where he wanted it in SD3's mixer, then we run 4 external mics for cymbals to 4 tracks on the Apogee. It all records at the same time with zero latency through Thunderbolt connections. The whole trick is to make sure your drum mix is solid because it goes to 1 track via midi in Logic, so you gotta have them exactly where you want them or you'll be doing it over. The cymbals have plenty of wiggle room with each on its own track. Honestly we spent a month getting it dialed because we hate wasting time. Once its dialed in your good to go, you can save that mix/kit in SD3 and pull it all up easily at that point. My Vdrums are an older set that are very different from the newer ones. SD3 is nearly endless in the custom kits you can build, mix and save within the program, but it has some killer preset kits too, we just remix them to get the levels where we want them.
SD3's cymbal sounds are not bad, the hi hat is usually down quite a bit from where we like it in the presets, but you can set them wherever you want in the mixer that's built in to the program. He has a monster kit and cymbals, so he already had access to all of them. The pic is from a few years back and he only had part of them there that day, he usually runs this setup for recording-
IMG_0164.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, my drummer hates the feel of the Roland cymbal pads, especially the hi hat. He spent a lot of time getting the drum mix exactly where he wanted it in SD3's mixer, then we run 4 external mics for cymbals to 4 tracks on the Apogee. It all records at the same time with zero latency through Thunderbolt connections. The whole trick is to make sure your drum mix is solid because it goes to 1 track via midi in Logic, so you gotta have them exactly where you want them or you'll be doing it over. The cymbals have plenty of wiggle room with each on its own track. Honestly we spent a month getting it dialed because we hate wasting time. Once its dialed in your good to go, you can save that mix/kit in SD3 and pull it all up easily at that point. My Vdrums are an older set that are very different from the newer ones. SD3 is nearly endless in the custom kits you can build, mix and save within the program, but it has some killer preset kits too, we just remix them to get the levels where we want them.
SD3's cymbal sounds are not bad, the hi hat is usually down quite a bit from where we like it in the presets, but you can set them wherever you want in the mixer that's built in to the program. He has a monster kit and cymbals, so he already had access to all of them. The pic is from a few years back and he only had part of them there that day, he usually runs this setup for recording-View attachment 194782

Exactly my problem!! Hated the feel and response of the hi hats especially and then my expression on my splash and china and the ride wash.. My problem is that my kit triggers in SD3 stand alone mode but won't trigger the virtual instrument inside Reaper for some reason or else yes, I'd tracks mics WITH midi and then export the midi as bounced sound files for the final image. I guess really at this point I can totally just get my mics up on the toms and then use Slate's trigger on the toms and blend the snare. I am just trying to be lazy and not run the kit with all the mics..

Exactly my problem!! Hated the feel and response of the hi hats especially and then my expression on my splash and china and the ride wash.. My problem is that my kit triggers in SD3 stand alone mode but won't trigger the virtual instrument inside Reaper for some reason or else yes, I'd tracks mics WITH midi and then export the midi as bounced sound files for the final image. I guess really at this point I can totally just get my mics up on the toms and then use Slate's trigger on the toms and blend the snare. I am just trying to be lazy and not run the kit with all the mics..
Jeesh, I don't know shit about Reaper. I know we initially had the issue of my Apogee interface not having MIDI at all, so we had to get a rack mounted I-Connectivity Mio 10 unit that takes all MIDI (10 input) and sends it to the computer via USB so we could even run the thing, but it worked flawlessly. So in the end the signal chain was Roland Brainbox MIDI out to the Mio 10, to the Mac Pro USB input. Then Logic would recognize any MIDI instrument we hooked to it after that. Also SD3. The Mio 10 made all that stuff work together seamlessly. Im not sure if it would solve your problem or not, but it might be worth a look. I know we are not running SD3 in stand alone mode. We basically record live for the basic song and add other stuff later so SD3 is running a stereo track in real time as we play it
Not sure if that helps or not :LOL:

Wow, nice!
You guys have some beautiful rooms to work in. Most of the diffusion in mine is all the shit in the room. One side is a ton of reloading equipment which seems to work minimally but has a wonderful smell of gunpowder and gun oil :LOL:

Wow, nice!
You guys have some beautiful rooms to work in. Most of the diffusion in mine is all the shit in the room. One side is a ton of reloading equipment which seems to work minimally but has a wonderful smell of gunpowder and gun oil :LOL:
I should have mentioned that all my walls are insulated fabric panels. I should build a cloud in the ceiling.

i’d more likely put a reloading bench in there like yours.

Keep ‘em coming so I can show my lady I don’t have a problem.
Won’t work. She’ll just realize everyone else has a problem as severe as you. You are jumping from the fire to the flames my friend. Smartest move you have is to delete the thread. Tell her no one responded and guitar forums automatically delete undesirable threads. You sure dug your grave this time. Jeez.

Back