The Monomyth thread

Meeotch":1k7l1k6c said:
This thread is such a breath of fresh air. Looking forward to reading more about available amps and mods. The clips all sound killer! Let's keep this going as a testament to the positivity RT has in its community :2thumbsup:

I appreciate you saying this, its hard not to get roped into these personal battles here, I struggle myself. I'm going to make some pieces of art and some players / artists are hopefully going to find what they've been looking for.

suhrimmetal":1ntlqkj4 said:
LP Freak":1ntlqkj4 said:
suhrimmetal":1ntlqkj4 said:
ClintN667":1ntlqkj4 said:
Well I just got my amp back and was able to put it through a test run.
Needless to say I'm happy as hell. I was making plans of putting together a pedalboard for it until I plugged it in but I think getting a board for a tuner and a delay is overkill.

It chugs without a boost, has a surprisingly low noise floor, and sounds amazing even at bedroom levels.

Great to hear... I've got one headed my way :yes: :rock:
:thumbsup:

:cheers: :yes:
:rock:

Tim Rose used to have a purple Hendrix full stack. Cranked way the f up with a Mesa V-Twin pedal in front it sounded like the doors to the Underworld were opening!

Monomyth":3fxg7dlw said:
ClintN667":3fxg7dlw said:
Needless to say I'm happy as hell. I was making plans of putting together a pedalboard for it until I plugged it in but I think getting a board for a tuner and a delay is overkill.

It chugs without a boost, has a surprisingly low noise floor, and sounds amazing even at bedroom levels.

Glad it made it safely Clint, I’d love to hear your thoughts after some time spent. Your amp has a very high sensitivity so don’t be afraid to eq it in a unorthodox way, if you look at some of the pictures I post my settings are usually there, with this mod I usually set pres at noon and pull down the mids and treble, whatever sounds good to you! Cheers guys, you’re appreciated :thumbsup:

I played around with the EQ a good bit yesterday. It does have a wide sweep. Im making sure I dial with my ears. I play some stuff in B Standard so for that I turned the mids up until about 6 , treble 6-7 with presence half way.

I played some Death songs last night with the mids at 4 and treble at 5. And also some mastodon which both bands use D. Sounded great.

Then in E standard I played Welcome Home from King Diamond. This amp will not have any issue cutting through a mix at any tuning.

I'm plugging straight in and getting my tone which is pretty much what I chase after in an amp. I've been working on alternate picking and John Browne's Downpicking gym lessons so I'm running with a metronome to a pretty quick pace. This amp is so tight on palm mutes that I could notice my timing falling off a bit sooner than I could tell with my KSR Orthos which can be a pretty tight amp in of itself.

I was kinda G.A.S'n for the Dover amps and another Splawn but that shit is gone now. I'm good. I have a Marshall cab being delivered tomorrow with their G12 Vintage speakers in it so once I get a delay and another tuner this rig is complete.

ClintN667":2titrhv7 said:
Monomyth":2titrhv7 said:
ClintN667":2titrhv7 said:

Glad it made it safely Clint, I’d love to hear your thoughts after some time spent. Your amp has a very high sensitivity so don’t be afraid to eq it in a unorthodox way, if you look at some of the pictures I post my settings are usually there, with this mod I usually set pres at noon and pull down the mids and treble, whatever sounds good to you! Cheers guys, you’re appreciated :thumbsup:

I have a Marshall cab being delivered tomorrow with their G12 Vintage speakers in it so once I get a delay and another tuner this rig is complete.
:LOL: :LOL: I just grabbed another Marshall cab that should be here soon for when I get this other Marshall done! Glad you got another amp done. I know you have been missing it. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Yeah man I cant wait to hear it with its own cab. Im really happy with how everything turned out. My cab should be here tomorrow but I havent figured out how to get it past my wife ;)

Do some bondage shit to her and tie her up to bed. Then tell her you got to piss. Works every time.

ClintN667":13md5vis said:
I was kinda G.A.S'n for the Dover amps and another Splawn but that shit is gone now...

This has me especially pumped as I have (soon to be had?) the same gas for that Dover 50.

The Marshall Vintages are great speakers. Kind of an underrated, commonly overlooked option. Two of my friends and I have all picked up quads of them lately. The Monomyth sounds great through them.

A couple days ago I loaded my Friedman cab up with two H75 creambacks and two Alnico creams in an X pattern. Harmonics just fly out of the cabinet. The alnicos are amazing. You need the H75 to add some bite. I’m preferring this setup with the Monomyth at the moment.

RedPlated":ajosi4l4 said:
The Marshall Vintages are great speakers. Kind of an underrated, commonly overlooked option. Two of my friends and I have all picked up quads of them lately. The Monomyth sounds great through them.

A couple days ago I loaded my Friedman cab up with two H75 creambacks and two Alnico creams in an X pattern. Harmonics just fly out of the cabinet. The alnicos are amazing. You need the H75 to add some bite. I’m preferring this setup with the Monomyth at the moment.

Absolutely! My Boogies and Diezels seem to have their favorites but this head really does well with all types of speakers. I am convinced that whatever the hell Shea does to make them so versatile is the major factor. I've had modded amps before and they may sound great for one certain type of sound, but I can honestly say this amp can sound good no matter what type of sound/music I'm going for. Change the cab, a little eq and its another beast entirely!!

RedPlated":1xlo7011 said:

I’ve never tried the h75s but really want to, I’ve been a long time vintage 30 player but went down the greenback rabbit hole the last couple of years, I bought everything from pulsonic to modern and found that my favorites were the Chinese reissues, they have an intense bite that sounds awesome.

Monomyth":3i2hyi7o said:
RedPlated":3i2hyi7o said:

I’ve never tried the h75s but really want to, I’ve been a long time vintage 30 player but went down the greenback rabbit hole the last couple of years, I bought everything from pulsonic to modern and found that my favorites were the Chinese reissues, they have an intense bite that sounds awesome.
Shea, have you tried the RIC cones from 73-75? They came after the Pulsonics, but before the Kurt Mueller cones. I've tried them all and the RIC cones are my favorite GB for high gain. More open and raw, they don't compress up as much as pre Rola or newer Chinese. IF you've ever tried the 6402 cones from the 90s they are fairly close to the RICs.

My KSR Cab is a Creamback 75 and a V30. Sometimes I get tempted into putting just two creamback 75's in. This cab sounds great as it is so I dont want to jinx it. The Splawn 2x12 I had with the Creamback 65's were absolutely perfect for my Quick Rod and Nitro but the Orange 2x12 with V30's were terrible with those amps. Im looking forward to trying my 2204 and my Orthos with the Marshall cab. Im really thinking of two creamback 75's now.... Damn it.

I do want to try Greenbacks and Redbacks. Im thinking of getting a Redback 1x12 to run my KSR Ceres and PA50. I think that will be a nice portable rig.

Anyway I played some lower gain stuff last night (AC/DC, Interpol, The Pixies). I backed the gain down to 3 and pulled the mids and treble back. Sounded great. Im really happy with this amp and I can finally quit kicking myself for selling my Blood and Thunder Superlead.

New clip on YouTube. Not mine. Sounds amazing!! Super tight and aggressive. You can hear the 6550’s going to work.

Racerxrated":3lghiss1 said:
Monomyth":3lghiss1 said:
RedPlated":3lghiss1 said:

Shea, have you tried the RIC cones from 73-75? They came after the Pulsonics, but before the Kurt Mueller cones. I've tried them all and the RIC cones are my favorite GB for high gain. More open and raw, they don't compress up as much as pre Rola or newer Chinese. IF you've ever tried the 6402 cones from the 90s they are fairly close to the RICs.

Yeah I’ve tried the 90s reissues, I’ve found I like the greenbacks with lower gain settings, great speakers

Back