TS-9 Full Size or Mini Tubescreamer?

Bigger pedals sound a bit bigger to me. Some people don't notice or don't care, however. I have of lot of mini TS clones that I like, but they have a more narrow quality to them. You could call it a placebo effect, but apparently some pedal designers have claimed this as well.

Last edited:
Bigger pedals sound a bit bigger to me. Some people don't notice or don't care, however. I have of lot of mini TS clones that I like, but they have a more narrow quality to them. You could call it a placebo effect, but apparently some pedal designers have claimed this as well.

That is really interesting and wouldn't have expected that. I can see how some things keep change the overall tone though due to the metals, etc in there, interaction, etc

There are 2 mini pedals on the market that I swear sound better than the full size version, and the TS Mini is one of them. TS officianados can chime in, but I ‘think’ I once read the the circuitry or chip in the mini is closer to the square button 808? Mine just sounds better than my full size TS reissue or my og TS9 - which both sound great, btw.

Off topic, but I feel the same way about my MXR mini Phaser. I’ve owned every version of the Phase 90, and the mini just sound better to my ear.

Some of them sound very close to their big cousins, but most are going to have compromises in construction and materials.

I think for something that important and useful on your board, try a bunch of them - both minis and full size.

You might think the minis are fine, and then you know it doesn't matter for you.

Or you might think the full size ones sound much better, in which case you know it does matter for you.

Take advantage of Thoman or Sweetwaters return policy. Try a couple out.

Anything mini is cute. Manly things are big and have weight to them.
That's why I've always been told my dick is cute.
Wait....what?

Off topic, but I feel the same way about my MXR mini Phaser. I’ve owned every version of the Phase 90, and the mini just sound better to my ear.
Yep, I actually own almost every vintage (pre-Dunlop) MXR pedal, save for the block letter Blue Box (I went with the RI as a placeholder until one pops up with the original box and manual) and I A/B/C-ed the Phase 95 (mini) with my vintage Phase 45 and Phase 90 (thread is on TGP).
The Phase 95 held its own and the sheer versatility of it, combined with LED status, true bypass and little board real estate makes it a winner in my book.

Reactions: PDC
Back