Weirdest Gear Deal Ever: the Tale of How Severe G.A.S Led a Man to Madness

mooncobra

A little long. I know. Let’s hear your guys weirdest or most bizarre gear deals.

This is at least 10 years ago.I listed an amp, the Elmwiod Modena 60 (right around the time they were hitting US shores), and a guy contacted me. He was kind of local. I listed it on Craigslist as well as Rigtalk.

He is very interested in the amp, tells me to hold it for him, he will buy it 100% for sure. So we arranged to meet at a local shopping zone near the bridge.

He shows up and I start getting bad vibes right off the bat. He has brought 7 guitars and he must make sure all guitars, “match,” the amp?? So I asked what he means. Says he needs to play through the amp with his top 7 guitars. So, as a gear hound myself, I guess there is a strange kind of logic to his request. I reminded him we are in a parking lot. No power or cab. Don’t worry, he says, he has it covered. He pulled out this super dangerous looking device (that he hooked up to car battery) that appears to have been sourced from the legend himself, Sir Billy Bladez. Oh boy…….

He sets up the amp, cranks it, and proceeds to play a one man concert at tinnitus levels of sound. He is rocking out, hard, at one point I realize he has left the parking lot and is now brutally rocking wembley stadium. This dude is feeling it.

I just know when he gets to the 7th guitar, it won’t, “match,” and he will decline the sale. So he takes out guitar number 7, and plays with a fury similar to Yngwe. He stops playing, drenched in sweat from jumping and dancing around while playing. Clearly, dudes nuts. But, it was so crazy I found it wildly entertaining as long as I stood far enough away so as not to be thought to be with him and a part of his madness.

He loudly shouts, “I will take this baby,” while fist pumping. He pulls out an enormous amount of money(much more than amp price) and pays me, doesn’t try to negotiate, just pays. He says it’s one of the best amps he has ever played. Over the next two months, he sends many messages praising the amazing tone he has achieved.

Another month passes and I get an email from him. This is what it says:

Name the time and place to meet, you have to buy the amp back!

WTF………..

I ponder this message and am
Very curious as to his reasoning so I decide to respond. I will not buy the amp back. But I am curious to hear his reason for this?

I respond and he just says, “you have to buy the amp back, let me know time and place. You MUST!”

I respond, “I will not buy the amp back.”

He sends messages, “you MUST buy the amp back, let me know a time and place.”

I respond, “sorry, I will not buy the amp back.” (I no longer respond after my second refusal)

Over the next two months his messages devolve into the ramblings of a madman. But he is still dead set of getting me to buy the amp back. He starts sending messages asking why I won’t buyback the amp. He says it’s provided him with huge amounts of fun, but something happened and he could no longer even look at it. (Did he hit someone over the head with the amp and severely injure/kill someone? Trying to pass off damning evidence on me?)

I am so curious as to what this could mean that I contemplate responding. My imagination proceeds to run wild as to the meaning of this mysterious message, but I hold strong and don’t respond.

This goes on for a few more months and he starts saying, he has my phone number and with that, he can acquire my home address.

Great. Wonderful news. When he was initially trying the amp holding his parking lot concert, he also mentioned he was a master of the dark arts within the martial arts. I was like, “uhhh, cool man.”

He sent his messages for a few more months demanding that I MUST buy the amp back, that I have no choice and the sooner the better. WTF??

I continued to ignore him and around 10 or 12 months after he started demanding I buy the amp back he no longer sent messages or threats. He never showed up at my house and never heard from him again. But I always kept an eye out at places like guitar center, or a big guitar show, etc. for a long time i kept an eye out for this lunatic.

Definitely the weirdest gear deal I’ve ever had, thought of it today for the first time in years.

I’m sure someone has weirder than that, let’s hear them!!

A little long. I know. Let’s hear your guys weirdest or most bizarre gear deals.

This is at least 10 years ago.I listed an amp, the Elmwiod Modena 60 (right around the time they were hitting US shores), and a guy contacted me. He was kind of local. I listed it on Craigslist as well as Rigtalk.

He is very interested in the amp, tells me to hold it for him, he will buy it 100% for sure. So we arranged to meet at a local shopping zone near the bridge.

He shows up and I start getting bad vibes right off the bat. He has brought 7 guitars and he must make sure all guitars, “match,” the amp?? So I asked what he means. Says he needs to play through the amp with his top 7 guitars. So, as a gear hound myself, I guess there is a strange kind of logic to his request. I reminded him we are in a parking lot. No power or cab. Don’t worry, he says, he has it covered. He pulled out this super dangerous looking device (that he hooked up to car battery) that appears to have been sourced from the legend himself, Sir Billy Bladez. Oh boy…….

He sets up the amp, cranks it, and proceeds to play a one man concert at tinnitus levels of sound. He is rocking out, hard, at one point I realize he has left the parking lot and is now brutally rocking wembley stadium. This dude is feeling it.

I just know when he gets to the 7th guitar, it won’t, “match,” and he will decline the sale. So he takes out guitar number 7, and plays with a fury similar to Yngwe. He stops playing, drenched in sweat from jumping and dancing around while playing. Clearly, dudes nuts. But, it was so crazy I found it wildly entertaining as long as I stood far enough away so as not to be thought to be with him and a part of his madness.

He loudly shouts, “I will take this baby,” while fist pumping. He pulls out an enormous amount of money(much more than amp price) and pays me, doesn’t try to negotiate, just pays. He says it’s one of the best amps he has ever played. Over the next two months, he sends many messages praising the amazing tone he has achieved.

WTF………..

Very curious as to his reasoning so I decide to respond. I will not buy the amp back. But I am curious to hear his reason for this?

I respond and he just says, “you have to buy the amp back, let me know time and place. You MUST!”

I respond, “sorry, I will not buy the amp back.” (I no longer respond after my second refusal)

Over the next two months his messages devolve into the ramblings of a madman. But he is still dead set of getting me to buy the amp back. He starts sending messages asking why I won’t buyback the amp. He says it’s provided him with huge amounts of fun, but something happened and he could no longer even look at it. (Did he hit someone over the head with the amp and severely injure/kill someone? Trying to pass off damning evidence on me?)

I am so curious as to what this could mean that I contemplate responding. My imagination proceeds to run wild as to the meaning of this mysterious message, but I hold strong and don’t respond.

This goes on for a few more months and he starts saying, he has my phone number and with that, he can acquire my home address.

Great. Wonderful news. When he was initially trying the amp holding his parking lot concert, he also mentioned he was a master of the dark arts within the martial arts. I was like, “uhhh, cool man.”

He sent his messages for a few more months demanding that I MUST buy the amp back, that I have no choice and the sooner the better. WTF??

I continued to ignore him and around 10 or 12 months after he started demanding I buy the amp back he no longer sent messages or threats. He never showed up at my house and never heard from him again. But I always kept an eye out at places like guitar center, or a big guitar show, etc. for a long time i kept an eye out for this lunatic.

Definitely the weirdest gear deal I’ve ever had, thought of it today for the first time in years.

FINALLY, I found you! I lost your contact info when I dropped my phone into the river of souls, next to my super secret location where I practice my voodoo judy shop matial arts!

YOU HAVE TO BUY THIS AMP BACK!!!!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

WTF………..

Mike, I’m not sure anyone is going to top that! You had me laughing good a few times during this gem. Great story.

I sold a badcat combo to a guy and had UPS pack it and ship it insured. It showed up mildly busted and he calls me and chews my ass out! I calmly said that I was sorry and it’s fully insured and I would start the claim ASAP. He says don’t worry about it and hung up. Never heard another word. WEIRD.

I to am curious to see who will top that story. I did have a strange audition yrs ago. This band needs a second guitarist so I journey about an hr from were I live. It was at a junkyard and there is a house in the middle of it. Its already dark by the time I get there. Yep its a creepy old place and I am welcomed into a hoarders paradise by a family that would give the Addams family a run for there money. Stacks of junk piled everywhere in this house. Its like being in an old b/w movie for some reason and there is only one light bulb in the living room. We head upstairs to the jam room and its one big room with nothing in it but spider webs, one light bulb and some music gear. The band were actually pretty good but after an hr or so I told them I needed to go. I thought I was a goner but I left on good terms with this strange bunch.

FINALLY, I found you! I lost your contact info when I dropped my phone into the river of souls, next to my super secret location where I practice my voodoo judy shop matial arts!

YOU HAVE TO BUY THIS AMP BACK!!!!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I was actually worried about this, and you’ve found me!!! Foiled!

I to am curious to see who will top that story. I did have a strange audition yrs ago. This band needs a second guitarist so I journey about an hr from were I live. It was at a junkyard and there is a house in the middle of it. Its already dark by the time I get there. Yep its a creepy old place and I am welcomed into a hoarders paradise by a family that would give the Addams family a run for there money. Stacks of junk piled everywhere in this house. Its like being in an old b/w movie for some reason and there is only one light bulb in the living room. We head upstairs to the jam room and its one big room with nothing in it but spider webs, one light bulb and some music gear. The band were actually pretty good but after an hr or so I told them I needed to go. I thought I was a goner but I left on good terms with this strange bunch.

I would not like that at all. In fact, when I saw it was the Addams family I would have tried to secure the location of cousin IT, and flee.

Mike, I’m not sure anyone is going to top that! You had me laughing good a few times during this gem. Great story.

I jus scratched the surface. In the time at he tried the amp, I noticed so many weird ticks, traits and idiosyncrasies. I don’t think I mentioned he was an absolute beast of a man. Just enormous.

I jus scratched the surface. In the time at he tried the amp, I noticed so many weird ticks, traits and idiosyncrasies. I don’t think I mentioned he was an absolute beast of a man. Just enormous.

Dude this guy sounds like me in like 30 years. Giant bastard playing yngwie licks.

"Nah man, I gotta try your strat with my LARRY. Bring it to my house"

I would have been gonzo at seven guitars much less let this maniac plug my amp into his car battery contraption.

Hahahahahahahahah!!! The car battery thing was what got me, and I told him if he broke it he buys it. (And I remember being slightly nervous telling him that, he was huge, but something about him was super unsettling, his mind jumped from one random thing to another, karate, finger exercises, his guitars, how hard his midi controlled vh4 destroyed backyard parties, playing eruption, karate, more finger exercises for his insane speeds, front loaded vh4 cab, and so on)He just sneered at me and nodded. Some guitars he only played for a minute. But a couple transported him to wembley where his mental concert took place. I couldn’t believe this dude drove a car and made it to his destination. I wish I filmed him. It would be priceless footage.

Back