What's your favorite boost for your Diezel? What amp?

Leo
Thank you for the information!
Some questions, points of clarification.

1) How are the Global Deep and Presence controls integrated ? If I set my Preset Deep at 1.0 and my Global Deep at 10 , is there that much extra range available in the analog part of the circuit? - so nothing happening in the digital realm except the storage of the settings?

2) Shape is a physical circuit change , 1 , 2 , 3 - we hear the relays clicking on the physical board, switching up the circuit to approximate
VH4 - Herbert - Hagen - This I see and hear on the board. Correct?

3) Mode is a tone stack change, ie. filtering, (vintage, early, classic, modern) is this done with DSP or physical resistors ?

4) When using no internal effects, the audio signal , simply passes as transparently as possible through the A/D and D/A conversion without any alteration?

5) The direct out - is there a simulation of the power section applied?

6) The channel volumes , these are digital volume controls happening in between the A/D and D/A?

I do want to say the VHX is really amazing, I'm not trying to uncover problems but simply understand how it works.
It's a marvel of engineering - such a small family company as Diezel to develop such a product!! ... I can not imagine the work that went ( and continues to go ) into it.
It's ability to shape the sound is completely unparalleled for a tube amp, using the internal digital GEQ allows unbelievable flexibility,
It can be set up to sound very full and fat at bedroom volumes, fuller and fatter than my OG Diezels and instantly recalled any time you want.

1) They are +/- 0.5 offset from the presets, still clamped at 0/1 range. So if preset is 0.5 and and global is at max, the result will be 1. If preset is 0.75 and global is max, result is still 1.

2) Yes

3) DSP for the different filters and resistor/capacitor network on the load for the impedance, the load is constant

4) Yes, but for the EQ filtering. All the non linearity is done analog, EQ Load is analog and that is responsible for the LOAD/Nonlinearity of the audio side.

5) Yes

6) Yes

I know you love it :) don't worry, just wanted to clarify in case of misunderstanding!!

So the VHX circuit/circuits are based on the Herbert MKIII and the Hagen? Maybe, I'm misinterpreting but does that mean the VH4 circuit itself is not in the VHX?ir
Last year, I did a side by side test of my VHX Classic 0 vs my VH4 Ch3 with identical settings, through a Mesa 2x12 w V30s, using an amp switcher so I could make instantaneous switches, and I felt like the VHX Classic 0 nailed the VH4 Ch3 tone. The VHX had a slight bit more body, which I think is an improvement. I love the 40 different variations of tone in the VHX. It's so fun finding the right combinations for different songs.

What I mean for topology is the basic circuit, and the main "topology" difference between MK1-VH4 etc.. to MK3 and current Diezels is the variable gain is later in the circuit and the previous one is fixed, so swapped.

VHX have the capabilities to do both the old style and new style thanks to shape, however it doens't have FULL range, so it's not 100% the same behaviour on 100% gain pot positions.

So VH4 with gain pot from about 11 to 6 can be matched on VHX using shape 0 to 1, but VH4 with gain pot less than that will be close but not exact match.

Circuit and components != Topology

As i understand

as i understand it, with VHX on blue channel shape 0, it's the same preamp topology to the VH4 on ch3 and the gain control is moved a stage forward (as opposed to all other shapes).
But only with shape0 and the blue channel.

Green, yellow and red are more in line with the Hagen/herbert Mk3 from the get go (plus the bright option from the VH4).
I don't think this is a downside at all!

Correct, also shape 1 does what VH4 does when gain is maxed out

I've used an SD-1 and a Maxon OD808 for quite some time, and they did pretty well. But a few months ago I've put a brand new GE-7 in the Hagen's loop and it's awesome. I get this tighter feeling but cutting way less bass.

The new GE-7 are pretty silent, I have very mild settings on the pedal, absolutely no additional noise.

Last edited:
Loving the VHX discussion here. Lots of things I'd often wondered about that Leo has explained here. :2thumbsup:

I always try to come at it without any preconceptions and just make up presets that sound best, especially to simulate my other branded amps not just my Diezels. But it's also great to know why certain selections and modes sound the way they do and how I can use the new info to make up new presets.

No boost. I run actives into Herbert mk3 with gain at 2 o clock max. Cant imagine boosting it
well if it's EMG81 or Fishman moderns or something similar they have already kind of a boost EQ shape (Trimmed lows and highs with mostly mids).
But gain wise of course Diezels have plenty.

well if it's EMG81 or Fishman moderns or something similar they have already kind of a boost EQ shape (Trimmed lows and highs with mostly mids).
But gain wise of course Diezels have plenty.
I recently switched out my moderns for Devin Townsend and abasi signature. I definitely prefer their low end and mid range response, compared to the modern

Passive Lundgren M8 sounds great through it too, unboosted

I recently switched out my moderns for Devin Townsend and abasi signature. I definitely prefer their low end and mid range response, compared to the modern

Passive Lundgren M8 sounds great through it too, unboosted
You wrote in the other thread that those are without the cocked wah mids present in Moderns. THat sounds very good.
How are the lows and low mids? Bigger than the modern? but still way less than a passive?

You wrote in the other thread that those are without the cocked wah mids present in Moderns. THat sounds very good.
How are the lows and low mids? Bigger than the modern? but still way less than a passive?
The lows are noticeably more present, yet without being muddy, with both the DT and abasi. That was one of the most noticeable differences off the bat. It’s more balanced too, I wouldn’t say scooped really, but relative to the moderns, the mids are more tame

To my ears, the low mids are also more present on both more than the moderns, moreso than DT than abasi. Just sounds thicker

In fact, I didn’t realize how sorta weak the low end sounded until hearing it A/B’d in person

Loving the VHX discussion here. Lots of things I'd often wondered about that Leo has explained here. :2thumbsup:

I always try to come at it without any preconceptions and just make up presets that sound best, especially to simulate my other branded amps not just my Diezels. But it's also great to know why certain selections and modes sound the way they do and how I can use the new info to make up new presets.
Even though it’s a boost discussion, learning a little bit more about the VHX is always exciting. I’ve been tempted to make a demo video for the VHX that goes through each of the voicings and shapes, since there’s not really any good demo’s out there. I just have to find my box of SM57’s. Apparently they’ve all disappeared on me, and I’d loathe to buy another set of them only to discover them after I invest in a new set.

I have so much more fun with the VHX treating it as its own thing than trying to mimic the other Diezels. Frankly I think this is how you should treat every amp, from a crap little starter amp to these boutique titans we all drool over. Unless you’ve specifically tried to copy someone’s rig exactly, you’re always going to have a tone that’s uniquely yours with its own quirks (…and even then). So play to your strengths and what you like, and make sure your rig complements that. You will always find something wrong if you’re looking for something wrong. But these amps make it easy to find something to love.

That being said I finally made it out to the warehouse for a full-power highway jam yesterday…

1. I should do that more often
2. Modelers are great. Love em. Fantastic stuff. They sound “just as good”… But a half stack of tubes at full bore is still a near-religious experience. Tubes: 1, Modelers: 0
3. Vintage style fuzzes complement my VHX way better than modern turbo fuzzes
4. I might have to rethink my pedal board
5. @Leo Diezel The software editor is still coming along? I’m up to preset 61, and frankly as I’ve gotten much more familiar with the amp, I could probably stand to delete 40 or so of those, and organize what I’ve got into a much more gig friendly list. I know I can do it through the global menu, but it’s kind of a real PITA. Not pressuring you or anything, just wondering.

Even though it’s a boost discussion, learning a little bit more about the VHX is always exciting. I’ve been tempted to make a demo video for the VHX that goes through each of the voicings and shapes, since there’s not really any good demo’s out there. I just have to find my box of SM57’s. Apparently they’ve all disappeared on me, and I’d loathe to buy another set of them only to discover them after I invest in a new set.

I have so much more fun with the VHX treating it as its own thing than trying to mimic the other Diezels. Frankly I think this is how you should treat every amp, from a crap little starter amp to these boutique titans we all drool over. Unless you’ve specifically tried to copy someone’s rig exactly, you’re always going to have a tone that’s uniquely yours with its own quirks (…and even then). So play to your strengths and what you like, and make sure your rig complements that. You will always find something wrong if you’re looking for something wrong. But these amps make it easy to find something to love.

That being said I finally made it out to the warehouse for a full-power highway jam yesterday…

1. I should do that more often
2. Modelers are great. Love em. Fantastic stuff. They sound “just as good”… But a half stack of tubes at full bore is still a near-religious experience. Tubes: 1, Modelers: 0
3. Vintage style fuzzes complement my VHX way better than modern turbo fuzzes
4. I might have to rethink my pedal board
5. @Leo Diezel The software editor is still coming along? I’m up to preset 61, and frankly as I’ve gotten much more familiar with the amp, I could probably stand to delete 40 or so of those, and organize what I’ve got into a much more gig friendly list. I know I can do it through the global menu, but it’s kind of a real PITA. Not pressuring you or anything, just wondering.
5) Sure!

With my VHX and VH4 I 99.9% of the time use a Horizon Devices Precision Drive. The ultimate pedal to me that tightens up bass. Works seamless and I can't use the amps without it as my jam room/cab set up is very very bass heavy. Also love the Centavo or Boss SD-1 with Yellow channel on.

With my VH2 i only use an EP Booster on channel 1 to give more body and dynamic ...no need for second channel ...it's a Diezel

I only ever use a boost with my mid gain channel to add more flavours, not the full heavy sound.

Currently using a Chase Bliss Brothers as it's MIDI controlled and got more options, but in terms of instant gratification, set and forget with very little knob fiddling I can't get away from my Keeley Red Dirt Mini.

Back