Whats your favorite guitar lick?

Stuff that I really wanted to pick up as soon as I heard it when I was younger...

Randy Rhoads - I Don't Know: 4:01 ...love that little box lick Randy does
Van Halen - I'm The One: 2:47 - 2:51 ...awesomeness
John Sykes - Is This Love 3:02 - 3:05 ...awesomeness

ttosh":s6nscb0g said:
Sorry, inappropriate post on my part, did not see the guitar was not covering the nips!!
Motorpud":s6nscb0g said:
ttosh":s6nscb0g said:
Guitar_Lick_by_Perthro.jpg

I have a new favorite :D
Whats inappropriate is not having the lower part of that pic! :shocked: :inlove: :jedi: :jedi:

Technically, a lick is a short phrase or part of a solo, like a pentatonic blues lick or part of a scale used for soloing, such as the classic:
---------12-----
-------12-------
-----14^--------

A riff is a short repeated phrase, and is part of the rhythm and/or the part behind the lick or solo, or more often than not at the beginning of a song.

tonmazz":1a345pzt said:
There is a part in the Outro solo of the song Tonight by Ozzy at about 4:47 where Randy does a really tasty run. :rock:

I haven't heard that song in years, but I know the exact lick you're talking about and it makes my hair stand on end.

I'm travelling right now, and too lazy, but there is a particular lick or two from Blues Saraceno that stand out for me. Both off his first CD. Warren DeMartini is always up there for a few tasty licks that get me. Again, in a lazy mood...the start of it for me is probably "I feel fine" by the Beatles.

The one that stands out after all these years is the intro to:
"HAVE A DRINK ON ME" - AC/DC Back in Black album.

What a great lick.
Right from the 1st two notes you know EXACTLY what that song is! :rock:

The solo in Why, by Satch. The tapping part at 2:26. The way he uses the wah and phrases it makes it out of worldly. Not supposed to come from a guitar. Same thing at 2:41, but to a lesser degree. Just a mix of technique and effect that creates something wasn't supposed to come from a guitar.

I was tripping when I first heard this cd, and I had a mental visual representation of that solo...so maybe that has something to do with it. :)

Off the top of my head:

Alter Bridge - One Day Remains
Periphery - Icarus Lives
Stevie Ray - Pride and Joy
Steve Vai - Erotic Nightmares
Dreamtheater - Right of Passage

James Gang - Walsh's guitar lick after the goofy drum part about 2 minutes in the song. I am not a big Walsh fan but that lick was great and I have yet to hear anyone pull it off like walsh played it.

OR

Anything G. Govan plays!

my favorite although simple is when "mean street" from van halen kicks in right after the intro, and also at about 2:05 into the song that part is badass as well ...

Back