Bass tone

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":3987e said:
By the way, what's your guys opinion on the Hartke cabs?

http://www.musicgoround.com/store/inventorydetails.asp?id=345502
Don't like the Hartke honk...a bass player I knew used a 4x10 Hartke (aluminum cone) cab...he blew the speakers several times...they don't stand up well and they don't sound very round and smooth.

My old bass player had some hartke stuff at one point...I shudder at the memory of it as I thought it was terrible sounding. Difficult tone to describe, metallic and tinny come to mind, but thats not the best description. Was much better when he switched to Eden and Ampeg setup.

If you are interested in The Pot, I highly suggest looking into Demeter preamps. There is a less expensive one that is comporable in price to the RBI that you may be able to sell/swap for. To my understanding, the combo of demeter and his Wal basses are the primary factor in that sound.

Sorry I don`t have any suggestions outside of what has already been given in respect to a cab though :(
Good luck!
-Jesse

Only thing I can think of with respect to hartke gear is Victor Wooten's old sound...which I hate.

Thanks for the Hartke input guys... Hartke is out of the equation.

>|<>QBB<
gybe!":7e88c said:
If you are interested in The Pot, I highly suggest looking into Demeter preamps. There is a less expensive one that is comporable in price to the RBI that you may be able to sell/swap for. To my understanding, the combo of demeter and his Wal basses are the primary factor in that sound.

Sorry I don`t have any suggestions outside of what has already been given in respect to a cab though :(
Good luck!
-Jesse

I found an article about the recording of 10,000 days, and although they don't say which models, it looks like Justin is using some GK amps on the album. Of course, there's a LOT more to getting that tone than I'm going to be capable of buying, up to and including the recording chain, but I figure the GK should have the twang I'm looking for along with the thickness and percussiveness.

"Barresi captured Justin Chancellor's bass tracks with a combination of cabinet miking and DI. Chancellor played through Gallien-Krueger heads and Mesa Boogie cabinets. One amp was set to a clean tone and the other had a dirty sound. They were separated trackwise, so they could be blended at any point later. Barresi used Neumann U47 FET microphones on both cabinets. Additionally, Chancellor's bass went through a Demeter DI box directly to the console."

From: http://mixonline.com/recording/projects/audio_making_tools_days/

One thing I do like about the RBI is the distortion setting. With just a little bit of distortion, it really adds a nice edge to the twang. I HOPE the GK has that slightly distorted edge too.

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":07952 said:
One thing I do like about the RBI is the distortion setting. With just a little bit of distortion, it really adds a nice edge to the twang. I HOPE the GK has that slightly distorted edge too.

You should be able to get a decent amount of grit out of the GK. I used to run mine right on the edge of breaking up.

>|<>QBB<
gybe!":03e8d said:

Good luck!
-Jesse
This one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Demeter-VTBP-201-Tube-Bass-Preamp_W0QQitemZ320062364282QQihZ011

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":15cae said:
>|<>QBB<

I hear you, having to use two cabs to get two 10's and a 15 is a bummer, but I don't think this rig is going to get transported much.

Thanks for the input on the Hartke.

Avoid Hartke like the plague. They make some of the most unreliable stuff out there and honestly it doesn't sound all that great. My old bass player had the 4x10 3500 combo and blew 3 of 4 drivers in three months and he was running it very moderately. I have heard the same kind of things from most everyone about that! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":00502 said:
>|<>QBB<

I hear you, having to use two cabs to get two 10's and a 15 is a bummer, but I don't think this rig is going to get transported much.

Thanks for the input on the Hartke.

It's no problem at all man. I am cursed by having GAS for guitar and bass stuff all the time, so I'm doubly in debt from gear. hahaha...

>|<>QBB<
orangekick":d2ecc said:
>|<>QBB<

It's no problem at all man. I am cursed by having GAS for guitar and bass stuff all the time, so I'm doubly in debt from gear. hahaha...

Yeah, I'm a bit fearful of my newfound concern for bass tone. Good tone costs money, so once I get a rig setup I'm going to try to forget about the bass and convince myself that I have the best gear available.

Ampeg SVT Classic and the 810 cab. Or Eden 2-10/1-15 and an Eden head.....i have an SWR 4-10 cab in the store too..

Hartke does suck.....

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":6e407 said:
>|<>QBB<

Yeah, I'm a bit fearful of my newfound concern for bass tone. Good tone costs money, so once I get a rig setup I'm going to try to forget about the bass and convince myself that I have the best gear available.

I know all about it man. I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of my really good bass rig. I used to run an Aguilar DB 750 with the matching 4x10 when I was playing bass full time. Now that is good tone. It also had the price tag to match.

The GK with a couple of decent cabs will sound great though.

Wow, I'm surprised about all the Hartke hate on here. We ran my 4x10 pretty hard and the thing came through like a champ. At one point in time, I did think that the speakers were blown because one of the bass players used so much bass. However, when we replaced him, the cab sounded just fine. I didn't think the cabinet had a lot of honk either. But I was using a Mesa head. I will say that it did not sound as round and punchy as the Mesa cab that I have.

>|<>QBB<
defpearlpilot":b690e said:
Wow, I'm surprised about all the Hartke hate on here. We ran my 4x10 pretty hard and the thing came through like a champ. At one point in time, I did think that the speakers were blown because one of the bass players used so much bass. However, when we replaced him, the cab sounded just fine. I didn't think the cabinet had a lot of honk either. But I was using a Mesa head. I will say that it did not sound as round and punchy as the Mesa cab that I have.

I'm not saying they all go bad but I have heard way more bad than good about the Hartke stuff and I think they sound average at best.

>|<>QBB<
defpearlpilot":748e5 said:
Wow, I'm surprised about all the Hartke hate on here. .

Me too. I once jammed with a bass player who had a hartke stack, 4x10 and 1x15, and it sounded awesome. Super thick and punchy. We ended playing a bunch of RATM songs because his tone sounded damn similar.

That said I always like the SVT (classic) tone.

Although the GK heads are supposed to be really nice. Thats what Flea uses IIRC and his tone is beautiful

>|<>QBB<
Telephant":c34cc said:
>|<>QBB<

Me too. I once jammed with a bass player who had a hartke stack, 4x10 and 1x15, and it sounded awesome. Super thick and punchy. We ended playing a bunch of RATM songs because his tone sounded damn similar.

That said I always like the SVT (classic) tone.

Although the GK heads are supposed to be really nice. Thats what Flea uses IIRC and his tone is beautiful

If the GK doesn't rock my world, I may end up looking for an SVT head. The thing is, I really don't want to deal with a tube bass head. On the other hand, I'm going to use it little enough that as long as I have good tubes in there, I'd probably never have to change them.

BTW, the Ampeg SVT is like heaviest (physically) of any amp Ive encountered. Though the Herbert may be up there.

Its ridiculous trying to lift an SVT on top of an 8x10.

Back