Best amp for overall AIC tone??

jkkkjkhk

So I've been reading a bit about Jerry Cantrell's tone and I still have a few questions. I understand he used a bogner modded marshall for facelift, Fish preamp for dirt along with other amps, a bogner XTC, Shiva, and Ubershall all at other times in his career. So a bogner modded marshall, shiva, xtc, and uber are all amps I'm curious about. I'm leaving out the fish preamp cause I don't want to go towards a rack setup. I like all of his tones ranging from facelift all the way to his modern tone. What would be the best amp for the while range? I'd also prefer to go for a stock amp without having to get mods so if possible I'd like to not go towards a modded marshall.

One of the questions I've been wondering. From reading around it sounds like Bogner's mods throughout the years eventually became amps or inspired amps. So like the modded marshall, is there a bogner that eventually became that tone, or heavily inspired by it? Same with the modded Fish preamp, did that eventually become another amps tone? I've heard clips of the modded marshall but can't compare it to a stock 800 or any other bogners so I don't really know what the mod did. Same with the fish preamp, haven't heard it or compared it so don't know what the mod did.

So for his modded marshall tone, which bogner would get closest to that? For his modded fish tone, which amp would get closest to that?

Thanks for any help :rock:

He had a 20th Shiva in his rig at one point. I know he uses Friedman amps a lot now too. At first it was like a blend of the two then I think he just went straight Friedman. I'm not sure anymore though. I don't think you'd go wrong w/ the 20th Shiva or a modded Marshall or a company w/ that kind of tone(Splawn).

I think a 20th Shiva would get you there if you wanna use one amp. Maybe throw a boost/OD on there if you want. There's a rig run down on youtube you should check out.

I think his general vibe comes more from mixing a metallic sound w/ V30s and a thicker rock sound w/ G12M-25s. What amp is used to achieve those tones is secondary to the speakers/EQ choice. Over the years he's used many amps, but he's always sounded like Cantrell.

I had a Fish with the Cantrell mod. The mod is aggressive and I never dialed in the gain higher than 9-10 O'clock. Definitely got into Uberschall channel 2 territory. I ran this preamp through a fryette 292. I'm running a TJ right now.

some dude":latyod9d said:
I think his general vibe comes more from mixing a metallic sound w/ V30s and a thicker rock sound w/ G12M-25s. What amp is used to achieve those tones is secondary to the speakers/EQ choice. Over the years he's used many amps, but he's always sounded like Cantrell.

This.

Cantrell has been my man since I started playing in 1993. The speaker cabs and EQ used is indeed key to his tone. That and his Maple-bodied G&L Rampage guitars.

Damn, I look away for a short while and I get 6 replies. Only on this forum, everywhere else I can start a thread and after 2 days I may get one reply.

Anyways thanks for the help. I'll keep checking out the shiva and uber.

some dude":1m01poy6 said:

Exactly....nail on the head bro. :thumbsup:

Whether it was Uber, Shiva, Snorkler, Fish, Marshall, Marsha......Jerry has but one tone - live and in the studio. He seems to replicate it with ease.

Want Cantrell tone on the cheap?

Engl straight 100, Bogner's Cantrell mod was based off of this amp.

Here is a straight 50 for tone comparison.

EXPcustom":2kvp6nys said:

That definitely has the facelift sorta grind to it.

Steve, did you ever post clips of your BFG mod? I've been listening to the one he posted but curious to hear some from you. I may just go that route, probably cheaper and closer than anything else will get. JCM800's go for pretty damn cheap.

jkkkjkhk":1htolaon said:
EXPcustom":1htolaon said:

Steve, did you ever post clips of your BFG mod? I've been listening to the one he posted but curious to hear some from you. I may just go that route, probably cheaper and closer than anything else will get. JCM800's go for pretty damn cheap.

I can't remember... :confused: :D

Brian has the exact Snorkler mod specs. Find you a 50 watt 80's JMP and send it to him. You won't be happy until you do. Lot's of things can nail it close enough, but if you are looking for "Facelift" studio grind, Brian's Snorkler mod is the way to go, quickest and cheapest.

Steve

steve_k":1hw1d0ld said:
jkkkjkhk":1hw1d0ld said:
EXPcustom":1hw1d0ld said:

Brian has the exact Snorkler mod specs. Find you a 50 watt 80's JMP and send it to him. You won't be happy until you do. Lot's of things can nail it close enough, but if you are looking for "Facelift" studio grind, Brian's Snorkler mod is the way to go, quickest and cheapest.

Steve

Thanks, might as well do it the right way. :rock:

Some Dude nailed it, but if you want to get really, really close, have Brian at BFG make you a Snorkler for the old-school hairy, wiry top end stuff, then mix an Uber or thicker amp in. If you want it all with one amp, then run the snorkler into two cabs.

Channel 3 on my 20th XTC with a good dose of treble and the gain around 1 o'clock nails it.

-C

steve_k":3h20d9f5 said:
jkkkjkhk":3h20d9f5 said:
EXPcustom":3h20d9f5 said:

Steve

I would also go for Brian's Snorkler mod on a Marshall. That amp sounds dead on Facelift. That's my favorite Cantrell tone by far!

As per a few posts above, the 20thA is able.

I find that Ch.2 with the volumes high will get you there with a good low end, nice phat midrange, and the most important thing is that the increased volume will maintain that nice grinding decay in the chords - chewy, grinding, burbling... Ch.3 is a potential, I just have to really back off the gain in this case. And sure, inverse relations are true for lower volume playing.

Blah blah blah, 20thA can get you there. TJ is a tricky one, but might be able to get you there. Sheevs is a little more aggressive than the X, so more EQ fiddling needed.

Good luck, Bogner kicks all kinds of ass :LOL: :LOL:

Mojo

some dude":24tvhotc said:

Totally agree.

Whether playing through my old EL34 Shiva or XTC Classic, or my current Marshall DSL50 (unmodded), I have always able to do a decent job at copping some nice AIC tones more by proper settings and technique than by using any particular piece of gear.

Red_Label":3k37byca said:
some dude":3k37byca said:

Totally agree.

Whether playing through my old EL34 Shiva or XTC Classic, or my current Marshall DSL50 (unmodded), I have always able to do a decent job at copping some nice AIC tones more by proper settings and technique than by using any particular piece of gear.
+1

Back