Best midi preamp

What we think about do it all preamps like jmp-1 triaxis mp-1 hk access ? I’m trying to build rack rig but can’t have all at once lol

Do you really need a programmable preamp or will several channels covering many bases do as well? Also, which sounds are you looking for?

Rocktron Pirahana....midi..built in loop...tube driven but also has a diode gain stage option..hush built in..direct XLR outs...

I preferred the H&K Access for the tones I was going for. The biggest caveat is that the clean channel is solid state. I had the Marshall 9001 and ADA MP-1 in college, and liked those as well, but the H&K Access sounded better to me. It's pretty much all I used during the 2000s for gigging, practice, rehearsal, or whatever. I tried a few others, like JMP-1, Triaxis, Mesa Quad, Piranha, IE4, Engl E570/E580, but they didn't displace the Access. I sold it in 2010 or so when I went I ditched the rack. I've had a couple since then, both the original and newer sound modules, but they didn't sound as good. Maybe my tastes had changed.

Do you really need a programmable preamp or will several channels covering many bases do as well? Also, which sounds are you looking for?
My bad been awhile, I look for nasty distortion a bluesy crunch and a jazzy clean basically but I like the midi part to add that patch some extra gain and sizzle you know

Wow what’s that diode gain do ?
Sorry did not see your question...The diode adds another layer of gain..pretty much like a distortion pedal..but it does seem to compress the tone a bit more than I prefer....I just use that for mega high lead patches..the tube gain is really enough..goes from 0-70..for rhythm I use it in the mid 50ish range...60 is metal territory...The diode gain adds the liquidy feel to the gain.

The H&K Access is a lark. I swapped it into my (totally servicable) ADA MP-1 rig and it was not the fucking godsend that some would have you believe.

The ADA is cool if you have a big-fat tube Power-Amp to power it. It's a one trick pony though.

The Mesa Tri-Axis is a beast if you pair it with a 2-90 and use the switching. But be careful of whatever DSP you use for FX in between.

I miss my JMP-1. Had a Triaxis and MP-1 too. JMP was king for many years. Cleans aren’t amazing by any means though.

Back