Final FORTIN MESHUGGAH Preorder

mctallica1":1fuzbj2l said:
If you get past all the bullshit in this thread, there is a lot of great information here.

I’ve been playing for a LOOOONG time and have gone through a metric shit ton of high end high gain amps, but have virtually zero technical knowledge. Given all the experience I have, I do know what I like, but couldn’t tell you what resistors, caps, etc get me there.

Like I said.... lots of bullshit, but also some excellent info :thumbsup:

T

Here's some more excellent info:

Buy a Ceriatone 50-watt Chupacabra.

1. Change first two cathode resistors to 2K7
2. Swap the first two coupling caps around
3. Lower first plate resistor to 330K... or a 100K bypassed with 330pF in series with 220K
4. Revert the rest of the circuit back to STOCK Marshall specs (tone stack, PI, NFB, remove depth control, add the missing 10K B+ dropper, etc.)
5. Change the "feel" push/pull control's resistor to 68K and change the V1b input grid resistor to 68K

That will get you 99.99% of the way to your dream djent machine.

FourT6and2":2ab4awi9 said:
mctallica1":2ab4awi9 said:
If you get past all the bullshit in this thread, there is a lot of great information here.

I’ve been playing for a LOOOONG time and have gone through a metric shit ton of high end high gain amps, but have virtually zero technical knowledge. Given all the experience I have, I do know what I like, but couldn’t tell you what resistors, caps, etc get me there.

T

3. Lower first plate resistor to 330K... or a 100K bypassed with 330pF in series with 220K
4. Revert the rest of the circuit back to STOCK Marshall specs (tone stack, PI, NFB, remove depth control, add the missing 10K B+ dropper, etc.)
5. Change the "feel" push/pull control's resistor to 68K and change the V1b input grid resistor to 68K

And here you can get a PCB to build the TC Integrated Pre

https://www.rullywow.com/product/chuggapre/

I just got mine. I'll.post details to omit/hardwire the bass/treble controls so that there will only be a level control like the 33

Hey great for all you guys that can build amps. Awesome. Not everyone can or wants to. People can do anything if they put their mind to it. You can build your own house too and it costs less as well.

Point is there is a market out there. If the amp is a rip off of a Jose, well it wouldn’t be the first one and it probably won’t be the last. People are still going to buy it and like it. That’s what keeps an economy going.

Almost everything I can think of is a copy of something else. Every fucking movie out there is the same 5 stories and re-made at least 3 times over.

So buy amps, make amps, whatever makes you happy.

FourT6and2":17e342ez said:
mctallica1":17e342ez said:

T

:D :thumbsup:

For what it’s worth, one of my friends who plays very low tuned extreme metal stuff has a Fortin Meshuggah and got a 1987 jubilee recently and says that his jubilee with a boost in front totally smokes his meshuggah, even for his style. He’s a monster player. I’m gonna try to make a trip up there and hear them side by side for myself. I’m curious. I’ll also bring either my Atomica or Aldrich up to compare

He also has a ccv and it’s one of his favorites

The only Fortin amp I ever tried was a Natas and I didn’t care for it. It sounded a bit synthetic to me, too smooth/not enough growl on powerchords and while it was tight, there are many amps out there that are tighter. I was told it was Fortin’s attempt at the Elan Metalhead. It had though a metallic quality to it that I liked

FourT6and2":373v2g9w said:
mctallica1":373v2g9w said:

T

Again....more good info, but I have less than zero interest in messing around inside an amp.

I am the ultimate end user.

:thumbsup:

braintheory":3ji74zyx said:
For what it’s worth, one of my friends who plays very low tuned extreme metal stuff has a Fortin Meshuggah and got a 1987 jubilee recently and says that his jubilee with a boost in front totally smokes his meshuggah, even for his style. He’s a monster player. I’m gonna try to make a trip up there and hear them side by side for myself. I’m curious. I’ll also bring either my Atomica or Aldrich up to compare

The only Fortin amp I ever tried was a Natas and I didn’t care for it. It sounded a bit synthetic to me, too smooth/not enough growl on powerchords and while it was tight, there are many amps out there that are tighter. I was told it was Fortin’s attempt at the Elan Metalhead. It had though a metallic quality to it that I liked

You should do a little amp comparison video. That would be cool to see a Meshuggah, Atomica, CCV, Jubilee, and Aldrich all in one video.

FourT6and2":p8mexnql said:
braintheory":p8mexnql said:

You should do a little amp comparison video. That would be cool to see a Meshuggah, Atomica, CCV, Jubilee, and Aldrich all in one video.
I’ll try to do that. It’ll be a little while though until I have time to go there

FourT6and2":gw1rpszk said:
Beyond Black":gw1rpszk said:
I believe what you are saying about the similarities between this and a Jose mod, but I know what my ears are hearing in that clip. That amp sounds vicious, brutal, and definitely has that Fortin tone.

The clips are misleading.
Historically, people with these amps play '80s cock rock and EVH, not modern metal. :) Plug an 8 string with a 33 or Grind boost pedal into a typical Jose mod and you'll get similar results.

It's got to be more than a mere clone of a Jose mod.

Nope. It is literally a Jose mod. The exact Jose mod is commonly referred to as the Cameron Atomica. The Meshuggah just does not have the depth control.

Are you saying Fortin didn't do any additional tweaking to get his signature sound?

Nope. The "tweaking" is the marketing. And making sure all your customers are running 33 or Grind boost pedals in all the clips.

And if so, what's the crime in that?

There's no crime. Except I felt duped. I paid $3,300+ for an amp advertised as being a new, unique Fortin design with 4 gain stages. That is what the product description on Fortin's website said. It has now been changed. Edited. Removed. The amp does not have 4 gain stages. It is not a new, unique Fortin design. Simple typo? Who knows. It's gone now.

Did Fortin ever claim that it was anything else?

Yes. First, the product page and all the social media posts said it has 4 gain stages and was a super mega awesome metal monster unique Fortin design. Maybe it was a typo. Maybe the marketing dude didn't know what he was writing. It's now been changed, btw. But this is after the fact. I bought my amp like 6-8 months ago under the impression this was something new from Fortin. If I had known it was a JCM800 with Jose mod, I wouldn't have bought it.

Second, before I placed my order I emailed Fortin to ask him if this was similar to his other Cali and Jose mods. He said no. Totally different. Not true.

Does it sound good? Hell yes it does. It sounded good 30 years ago too. :)

If you don't want to shell out $3333.33 for a tweaked Jose mod, guess what, there's no gun to your head.

Like I said, if I had known it was a JCM800 Jose mod... the same damn circuit I've already built 4 times on my own in 2011, 2012, and two times last year, I wouldn't have bought one. Do they sound good? Yes (well not the one I bought since it was malfunctioning). But this really all stems from the marketing dude going off his leash to be honest.

Cant ask for a much clearer explanation than this, helps to have someone who knows a thing or two about amps.

Beyond Black":2erexuqx said:
technomancer":2erexuqx said:
FourT6and2":2erexuqx said:
Beyond Black":2erexuqx said:
I personally wouldn't give a fucking fuck if Mike built it or not. It's still entirely his design, Metropolis is one of the best in the business, I'd be saving $1667 dollars because it wasn't, and I wouldn't have to wait a year!... First world guitar player problems.... :doh: :LOL: :LOL:

This is not true. This “design” is a JCM800 with a Jose mod that’s been around for more than 30 years.

You're wasting your breath, fanboys gonna fanboy regardless of reality. I will say I almost pulled the trigger on one of these in the last run, but after seeing gut shots and all it is I am REALLY glad I saved my money.
Fanboy? No fanboy here. I was speaking logic. Tell me exactly how anything I said above is "fanboy." And I already corrected myself for saying "entirely."
So you almost pulled the trigger on one of these, huh? So I'm assuming that you heard the clip, liked it enough to almost shell out $3333.33, but changed your mind because there's not enough going on under the hood?...Ok... Do you buy an amp to play or to gaze at gutshots?

It was actually more that the build quality was mediocre and there is absolutely nothing interesting under the hood to justify the price aside from the name on the front. Well, that added to the "send me a wire transfer for the balance in advance". I wish Mike success, and actually own several of his products, but yeah the brand loyalty and the need by some people to lash out at anybody that isn't bowing down is some hard fanboy action.

scottosan":2erexuqx said:
FourT6and2":2erexuqx said:
mctallica1":2erexuqx said:

T

I just got mine. I'll.post details to omit/hardwire the bass/treble controls so that there will only be a level control like the 33

With bass all the way down, treble all the way up, and volume all the way up side by side with an actual 33 turned all the way up they sound pretty much identical except the 33 has a tad more volume. My guess is the 33 charge pump is configured for higher voltage than the rullywow, but haven't taken mine apart to confirm.

With bass all the way down, treble all the way up, and volume all the way up side by side with an actual 33 turned all the way up they sound pretty much identical except the 33 has a tad more volume. My guess is the 33 charge pump is configured for higher voltage than the rullywow, but haven't taken mine apart to confirm.
:thumbsup:

After just playing my Natas, all I can do is laugh at the JCM 800 with a boost can do it all comments. It ain’t happening.

Keep on rocking however you please. :rock:

Also, looks like PStar sold his Messugah for 6k according to his post in the classifieds. Everyone be drinking the koolaide and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Keep on hatin’ yo. :LOL: :LOL:

FourT6and2":1syozfv9 said:
braintheory":1syozfv9 said:

If it’s just an iPhone clip don’t bother. They will all sound the same anyway.

scottosan":29y3tudg said:
FourT6and2":29y3tudg said:
mctallica1":29y3tudg said:

T

Trying to get the 33 pedals tone is the last thing I would want. That 33 pedal made my amp sound like a kazoo. :LOL: :LOL:

VC4EverAgain":1fzntjjk said:
FourT6and2":1fzntjjk said:
braintheory":1fzntjjk said:

This iPhone clip came out great.
https://youtu.be/-QQdt__ayjg

I made another one in response to the Maxwatt. My Aldrich cops that amps tone as well. Let’s hope the Maxwatt is an original design and not a Cameron Aldrich copy.

psychodave":8fdjbvln said:
VC4EverAgain":8fdjbvln said:
FourT6and2":8fdjbvln said:
braintheory":8fdjbvln said:

I made another one in response to the Maxwatt. My Aldrich cops that amps tone as well. Let’s hope the Maxwatt is an original design and not a Cameron Aldrich copy.

Just cause you said it I hope it is an exact Cameron Aldrich. Then you and the other handful of people who have them won’t be so exclusive... :LOL: :LOL:

psychodave":1cug8vhk said:
VC4EverAgain":1cug8vhk said:
FourT6and2":1cug8vhk said:
braintheory":1cug8vhk said:

Sounds great to me, Dave.

VC4EverAgain":2jw1xb0g said:
psychodave":2jw1xb0g said:
VC4EverAgain":2jw1xb0g said:
FourT6and2":2jw1xb0g said:
braintheory":2jw1xb0g said:

Just cause you said it I hope it is an exact Cameron Aldrich. Then you and the other handful of people who have them won’t be so exclusive... :LOL: :LOL:

Chances are high it's an Aldrich.

FourT6and2":2ehwwcp9 said:
VC4EverAgain":2ehwwcp9 said:
psychodave":2ehwwcp9 said:
VC4EverAgain":2ehwwcp9 said:
FourT6and2":2ehwwcp9 said:
braintheory":2ehwwcp9 said:

Chances are high it's an Aldrich.

Aldrichs for everyone! LOL @ Cameron.

Back