Finally tried out an EVH Frankenstein...wasn't floored

romanianreaper

Yesterday I called my wife and told her I just got done playing an EVH Frankenstein. She was blown away that I didn't walk into the house with it, lol.

Don't get me wrong, it played great. Neck was awesome, looked cool, etc. Kept going out of tune over and over but I'm sure that is because it is new strings, etc. Not a deal breaker. I think I expected to be in a mode of "I must have this" and I wasn't.

The Frankenstein is a bit more than I paid for my phenomenal Chubtone, with selected parts and pieces, made from scratch, etc. I just couldn't justify getting something that I'd buy more for the look at nostalgia versus the way it plays.

I need to give it another whirl. Ed is the reason I play guitar and would be a great memory piece to have but is just a tad more than I think it should cost.

I think you did the right thing. If you're going to be spending $$$ coming up on $2K when all is said and done, I think it oughtta "WOW" you right out of the gates. If it doesn't, I think you gotta move on. And like you said - Chubtone would be more than happy to make you something superior! ;)

Same. $2,000 is a lot of cash to put down for an instrument, especially when it’s as blatantly fangirly as this one lol.

I’ve played one or two, they sound and feel great, and I’d totally buy one if it was under a grand or something just as a fun backup type guitar, but $2,000 seems real steep for a guitar that you can never really make your own because everybody will know it’s “not really your guitar, it’s Eddie’s guitar.”

2K for a basswood body instead of the actual Northern Ash or at least Ash of some sort is a bait and switch IMHO.

If you are going to market a Frankie you should be as accurate as possible. I've owned (due to a CL trade) and played an EVH stripe series basswood body Red/White/Black striped and it was about on par with the MIM Charvel San Dimas I had as well, while they are decent guitars for the price points neither of them have the same quality feel as my original 1983 Kramers and my Musikraft Frank build which is Northern Ash, maple neck with a brass nut and Callaham Fender bridge.

Personally I'm not a fan of basswood as a tonewood unless it is capped with maple like EBMM does with it's axis guitars.

YMMV!

Last edited:
It would be fun to have for the cool factor. I could stare at it all day. And touch it.

But then when my friends come over they are going to expect me to play like Edward, which ain't happening.

The Frankie's a a bit costly. Fortunately there are places that will shave off a good $300, which helps a little. The other striped series -- like the Bumblebee -- are more appropriately priced. i'd like a 5150 striped, but not for $1700 new.

I picked up a black and white EVH for $800 second hand, and I borrowed a mates Frankie striped series so had them both at home for about a month. I thought my non-reliced black and white was better in every department.

Back