I took my daughter to see metallica last night. They sounded amazing.

JimAnsell

The sound system they have is unique and the easily the best arena/stadium sound i've ever heard. they really tamed the boomy, bouncy sound of big buildings that weren't designed for music. i was in the lower bowl but close to the floor. everything cut and could be heard individually if you focused on each instrument. The fractals sound good for those kind of buildings. i totally understand why they went in that direction with their live rigs. One of the main reasons i usually avoid shows in big buildings is because it usually sounds like shit and isn't loud enough for me, so i was so relived when they came out and sounded killer. Performance was on point as always. Those guys are so fucking good. Lars still spits on everyone and everything constantly, and plays whatever the fuck he feels like and it always seems to work. its kind of exciting because he walks a tight rope with the beat but always keeps it together just enough. very "live" feeling. don't try to air drum along. No backing tracks here lol. Got free tickets from my boss at work, so i didn't have to deal with the sticker shock that also keeps me from going to shows of this magnatiude, so that was kinda nice. If they pass through your city, and you ever liked them, the're totally worth checking out on this tour. even my 12 year old daughter loved it and she never heard metallica excpet maybe in my car. i was 13 when i first saw metallica, so i got to be one of those old guys bringing the next generation into the heavy metal family :)

I’ve never got to see Metallica or Iron Maiden. My only regrets.

Thanks for passing the torch to the next generation.

I saw them a couple years ago and they sounded great!
Finally started checking out the latest album last Friday and listened quite a bit all weekend.
I think it’s really pretty great!

Honestly, first Metallica album I have really got into in well over 20 years…

Cool that you brought the kiddo!!
I caught them several times back in the day - Ride the Lightning, Master, Justice. The last show I saw them was either on Justice or Monsters of Rock.. a million years ago.
They have changed a LOT since the first tour ...

I saw 3 metallica shows this summer, i thought they sounded really good, i was on the floor for all 3 shows and at one of the shows i had trouble hearing kirks guitar on a couple songs, but the other 2 shows everything was good. Ive been them a bunch of times since 92 and its always a good time.

Nice!

Drove the fam to the St Louis show last weekend. It was amazing. Our son started playing guitar a little over a year ago and he's been killing it on all the early Metallica stuff. First time any of us saw Metallica/Pantera/Zakk/WVH live.

PXL_20231103_232642736.jpg

They played Dirty Window, which i liked a lot more than i remembered. Some of those St Anger songs actually aged well. i know they're very different from the classic metallica that everyone loves, and the whole snare thing, but there are some great songs on there imo that just don't get love because they aren't in the vein of justice or puppets. Before they played it James goes "this one is off of everyones FAAAAAVORITE metallica album" I knew a St Anger track was coming, cuz they'd never do a LULU song live :giggle:

The sound is so much better these days. I remember back in the 80's/90's the sound was such shit, and so loud unless you knew the music it could be hard to make out. Also I remember when the band talked to the crowd you could not understand a word they said.

I’ve never got to see Metallica or Iron Maiden. My only regrets.

Thanks for passing the torch to the next generation.
Maiden is touring in 2024. You should go.

I feel like I need to see Metallica again. The two times I saw them, it was a letdown a bit. They are my favorite band so would love to get a good show in. I might try to go see them once more shows open up.

Maiden is touring in 2024. You should go.

I feel like I need to see Metallica again. The two times I saw them, it was a letdown a bit. They are my favorite band so would love to get a good show in. I might try to go see them once more shows open up.
It’s still fun to see Metallica but it’s a different beast these days .

It’s still fun to see Metallica but it’s a different beast these days .
James' stage banter is much more respectable than back in the day. no more "so uh. how the fuck are you crazy fuckers?!" He used to sound like Butt-Head after taking a bottle of testosterone supplements. now its "welcome to the metallica family, we love you". he sounds all sober and fatherly o_O

The last time they came around the set list didn’t have any songs i was familiar with so I didn’t go.
I was never a big maiden fan…I liked them, I just didn’t have any of their albums or really followed them. Same as priest. When I saw maiden in concert though…damn they brought it. The 3rd rere guitarist kinda took away from the performance a little bit. He is a clown and his antics were kinda distracting….

James' stage banter is much more respectable than back in the day. no more "so uh. how the fuck are you crazy fuckers?!" He used to sound like Butt-Head after taking a bottle of testosterone supplements. now its "welcome to the metallica family, we love you". he sounds all sober and fatherly o_O
I’ve noticed that . It’s a very different beast. 89 was the best live era

"How does it feel to be aliiiiive!!!!" Cringe. I'd rather listen to Mustaine admonish security guards.

Nice!

Drove the fam to the St Louis show last weekend. It was amazing. Our son started playing guitar a little over a year ago and he's been killing it on all the early Metallica stuff. First time any of us saw Metallica/Pantera/Zakk/WVH live.

My buddy was at the St Louis show last Sunday. He said it was one of the best concerts he's been to.

Back