I will be giving away free pickups as I go through the R&D stages

scottosan

As I begin my journey and rabbit hole of pickup winding, my success is dependent on R&D, user feedback, and pickups getting out on the street. I am not doing this for money yet. As such, I am taking my time and not looking to put out mass produced bargain part pickups. I have a great day job and I look at this as more of a retirement plan.

Being the nerd that I am, I have studied and kept records and specs on many of the countless pickups that I have owned and have been studying and documenting some the the more rare and sought after pickups for the past 4-5 years. This is something that I’ve wanted to do for years have have prepared for long before actually starting.

The pickups I plan to give away are likely going to be prototypes or blemishes and occasionally a model that I want to go production on and wanting to get it in the hands of someone that I know can do them justice.

I am not going to give them away to the first person says they want them. I want to make sure they are paired up with the correct gear and music styles that I think will match them. Even better if someone is familiar with the specific pickups they are modeled after. I ask for nothing in return other than some feedback. If you like them you keep them. There is NO obligation to give any public reviews, as these are sometimes prototypes and I don’t want to base my reputation on non-finalized products.

Round 1:

This pickups is both a blem and a prototype. It’s is based on the Duncan Custom/59 Hybrid, which is the slug coil of the custom and screw coil of the 59. This results not only in mismatched coils, but also different wire gauges. My bridge pickup has the following following specs and/differences

* 49.2mm bobbins
* Long legged baseplate and 2 conductor 7+ inch wire (sorry, I’m using what I have in the parts drawer but should work in the bridge of most guitars)
* Maple spacer
* Slug coil is wound with 43awg plain enamel and modeled after the slug coil of the Franky pickup
* Screw coil is wound with 42awg plain enamel to model the screw coil of the 78 pickup
* Degaussed/weekened smooth A2 magnet similar to the 78.
* Wax potted
* DCR 11.54k @ 77 degrees, 50% humidity

As a result, it’s slightly hotter than the custom/hybrid which comes in @ 11.2k. This is a medium output pickup. Due to the degaussed magnet, you have a lot of leverage for fine tuning the pickup by adjusting the height. You can get it closer to the strings than a fully charged mag although I suggest just adjusting to taste. Due to the offset coils it cleans up well and retains clarity better for rhythm playing than other pickups that fall in the overwoundcategory. For leads I chose A2 to give the higher notes a little softer/compressed bloom.

So, I prefer this fo to someone that familiar with the Custom/59 Hybrid, some who is not going to play metal. This is geared more for classic rock to 80’s rock. This modded Marshall. I k or the long legs may limit what guitars this can go into but I’ve tried these in both bolt on and set neck application. Again you have a lot of leverage with height adjustments. I don’t want this to sit on a shelf or never to be heard about again. I wam doing this for feedback. Ask away

image upload

I was gonna say, I’m running a 27 year old screamin demon and had to swap the hex and screw coils to tame treble, as well as use pure nickel strings. This pickup you describe sounds perfect for me and would allow me to go back to Paradigms. I bet a parallel switch would be killer for complicated voicings where six strings are ringing.
This reminds me that I need to get polished A4 mags for my phat tone retro 90: neck P-90’s with A4 bring the sting, punch and piano tone.

I’m gassing for one of your pups!

If you have others in the future I’d be happy to give honest feedback. I’ve got pretty much all style of amps (over 20 amps), speakers (over 50), guitars of all varieties and tonewoods (36), etc as well as the pickups you said these are modeled after and can thoroughly test them in different guitars and compare to other pickups. I’d give very transparent feedback, no sugar coating. The only pickups I use these days are real vintage pickups and Tone Specific’s, but I’ve got lots of various Duncan’s (including what this is based on), Dimarzio’s, Fralin’s, Lollar’s, Throbak’s, and others. I only have them since they were stock pickups in guitars I swapped them out of lol. If you’re really serious about wanting feedback I can possibly even have my friend lend me real PAF’s to compare. The vintage pickups I own are pre-cbs early ‘60’s Tele’s, ‘50’s p90’s and late ‘60’s T-Tops

Last edited:
If you have others in the future I’d be happy to give honest feedback. I’ve got pretty much all style of amps (over 20 amps), speakers (over 50), guitars of all varieties and tonewoods (36), etc as well as the pickups you said these are modeled after and can thoroughly test them in different guitars and compare to other pickups. I’d give very transparent feedback, no sugar coating. The only pickups I use these days are real vintage pickups and Tone Specific’s, but I’ve got lots of various Duncan’s (including what this is based on), Dimarzio’s, Fralin’s, Lollar’s, Throbak’s, and others. I only have them since they were stock pickups in guitars I swapped them out of lol. If you’re really serious about wanting feedback I can possibly even have my friend lend me real PAF’s to compare. The vintage pickups I own are pre-cbs early ‘60’s Tele’s, ‘50’s p90’s and late ‘60’s T-Tops
My main focus is really going to be on PAFs since I plan on living in Japan at some point and they are fanatics for PAFs and there is less domestic competition there. In the past week I’ve done 4 sets of PAFs 3 lower wind and one higher wind and all with ALNICO 3s. I’m a hair metal guy, but Les Paul and a nice Fender amp like a Vibrolux Is where it’s at. The A3 while being good and low volume is absolutely sublime when you get an amp cooking. Going back to a fully charged A4 or A5 just sound harsh playing afterwards.

Aside from a few flavors of PAFs, I will like do 1-2 medium outputs and 1 high output. And likely just a few strat or tele sets later on. I have no desire to become a Duncan or bare knuckle. Both have some great pickups and both have some duds. If I cannot get a consensus that it’s a great pickup, I don’t want to sell it. I’d rather do a few things great rather than have a huge list of things trying to pander to all genres. It would be unfair for me to market a 7 string metal pickup when I don’t play metal and don’t play a 7 string

My main focus is really going to be on PAFs since I plan on living in Japan at some point and they are fanatics for PAFs and there is less domestic competition there. In the past week I’ve done 4 sets of PAFs 3 lower wind and one higher wind and all with ALNICO 3s. I’m a hair metal guy, but Les Paul and a nice Fender amp like a Vibrolux Is where it’s at. The A3 while being good and low volume is absolutely sublime when you get an amp cooking. Going back to a fully charged A4 or A5 just sound harsh playing afterwards.

Aside from a few flavors of PAFs, I will like do 1-2 medium outputs and 1 high output. And likely just a few strat or tele sets later on. I have no desire to become a Duncan or bare knuckle. Both have some great pickups and both have some duds. If I cannot get a consensus that it’s a great pickup, I don’t want to sell it. I’d rather do a few things great rather than have a huge list of things trying to pander to all genres. It would be unfair for me to market a 7 string metal pickup when I don’t play metal and don’t play a 7 string
I agree those Alnico’s can sound more musical than IV or V’s, particularly in the neck where I tend to like Alnico II. I’ve got a ‘64 Vibroverb myself. I personally think all the Bare Knuckle’s sound sterile/inorganic and lack the tonal nuance of good vintage pickups. I like pretty much all flavors of tone, but I use most often PAF style pickups, in particular the Bloombuckers by Tone Specific, which have to me been the best PAF style pickups I’ve tried so far. Anyway, I’d be very curious to try your paf style pickups if you’d be willing to send them in the future. I’ll do what I can to test and compare them as thoroughly as I can, which I always try to do with new gear I get. The qualities I tend to be most discerning about are tonal complexity and being organic like real vintage stuff

I have a perfect fit guy to try these. Plays the kind of music you're asking for, and is an amazing guitarist. Let me know, i'll ask if he's interested, although I know he'll be down, he lives, and breaths this stuff.

Actually I can just give you his info you guys can connect.

It would be awesome to live in Japan!! That place rules!!

There are a couple amazing pickup companies there, including the guy who created the Dry Z. His new pickups are great.

I have a perfect fit guy to try these. Plays the kind of music you're asking for, and is an amazing guitarist. Let me know, i'll ask if he's interested, although I know he'll be down, he lives, and breaths this stuff.

Actually I can just give you his info you guys can connect.
Let me know!

I agree those Alnico’s can sound more musical than IV or V’s, particularly in the neck where I tend to like Alnico II. I’ve got a ‘64 Vibroverb myself. I personally think all the Bare Knuckle’s sound sterile/inorganic and lack the tonal nuance of good vintage pickups. I like pretty much all flavors of tone, but I use most often PAF style pickups, in particular the Bloombuckers by Tone Specific, which have to me been the best PAF style pickups I’ve tried so far. Anyway, I’d be very curious to try your paf style pickups if you’d be willing to send them in the future. I’ll do what I can to test and compare them as thoroughly as I can, which I always try to do with new gear I get. The qualities I tend to be most discerning about are tonal complexity and being organic like real vintage stuff
I’ll keep you in mind. I may pick your brain about opinions.

I'd love to try one but I am in Canada so I am guessing these days shipping would cost as much as your PU :( . But I love the hotpafs!

I don’t know much about magnets and the winding process but I do know what pickups I like in certain guitars and I have several amps. I’m a thrash guy. I’d be happy to give one a whirl. I don’t need a neck pickup. Good luck with this endeavor.

I am a PAF player, exclusively Wagner godwoods and icebuckers on all of my guitars. Humbuckers --> Larry = my home base.

Granted, I use them for metal sounds instead of hard or classic rock.

But if you truly want some feedback, I'd be happy to give them a shot on one of my main players. 🤷‍♂️ I like Duncans, especially the sh-14, but have never preferred the 59 for my uses.

I am a non high gain Telecaster player, I would for sure be interested in trying some tele pickups if you make them!

Back