If it wasn’t for the Fender 50’s Bassman, NO JTM45.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Texsunburst59
  • Start date Start date
It was 2 6V6, I think so 18 watts if I remember correctly. This is not the amp I had but same model, same builder and much better player than I showing some sick ZZ top tones out of it.


WOW!!!

The tones that guy was getting out of that amp sounded amazing.

Now I’m probably going to go down a rabbit hole trying to find the right kit to have it built with.

VonBonfire knows of a guy in Austin that builds amps.

Hopefully he can do this amp at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the video Mike
 
I love fender amps, so much variety in the lines over the years. I have also repaired more fender amps than any other. The ones pre 1974ish all have schematics and layouts, usually other amps you just get a schematic. Leo made his amps to be serviced and that carried over into the 70s.

I have a 1970 Twin Reverb
1965 Bassman
1960 Fender Super
Tween Bassman LTD
Rebuilt 1953 5C5 octal Tweed Pro

And two inspired circuits
Narrow panel tweed super (mojotone kit)
and Custom Super Deluxe head (Brown deluxe with a brown super channel, 3 channel amp)

I also love Vox amps, wish they were as easy as a Fender to work on.
 
I wish Fender would reissue the rare 6G9 Tremolux with EL84s. I know a few friends who have one and they sound killer. Fender cleans and when you wind them up they get a nice British flavor. If a blues Junior sounded like this, it would sell many more than they already have.
You do have to tweak them to make them stable and not pound the EL84s, but once you go the 6G9 Tremolux is a killer amp.
 
I wish Fender would reissue the rare 6G9 Tremolux with EL84s. I know a few friends who have one and they sound killer. Fender cleans and when you wind them up they get a nice British flavor. If a blues Junior sounded like this, it would sell many more than they already have.
You do have to tweak them to make them stable and not pound the EL84s, but once you go the 6G9 Tremolux is a killer amp.
Why change to EL84? 6V6 work and sound amazing in this circuit. Not going to make a noticeable difference in volume. Through a quad of Greenbacks it definitely gave some JTM vibes. Much more versatile than the amp would seem.
 
It's easy to overstate the role of Fender in British amp development. They had copies of the RCA tube manual over there too.

That said fender has made some interesting amps at times. But also really struggled to understand what makes a good amp at times. Their belief held well into the 80s that people wanted to plug more than one guitar into the same amp was really crippling.
 
Why change to EL84? 6V6 work and sound amazing in this circuit. Not going to make a noticeable difference in volume. Through a quad of Greenbacks it definitely gave some JTM vibes. Much more versatile than the amp would seem.
Fender made 3 Tremolux circuits in the blonde era, the 6G9, 6G9-A, and 6G9-B. Its not just the EL84 that are different with the 6G9, but the preamp as well. The 6G9-A and 6G9-B use the more typical for Fender 6L6 power tubes

And I get what you are saying that the power tube type doesn't make as much difference as people say. I have a hoffman amps plexi amp with 6V6s and it still sounds like a plexi. But in the case of the first version 6G9 Tremolux with EL84s, it sounds different than the 6G9 preamp with 6L6's when you push it. I modded my friend's other tremolux to have a 6G9 preamp on one of the channels and you could sure hear a difference when you compare them side by side.

My original post was mainly trying to convey that Fender made a 6G9 Tremolux with EL84s, that many people don't know about. And imagine if a blues junior sounded like a 6G9 tremolux. Never heard a blues junior that wows me, even if they can sound good.
 
Dude in the vid is a friend of mine in real life lol

His taste is exquisite 🤌

He and I have done A/B tests with his MortaTrem and my Simo-Plex


Very sexual times
He is a badass player with killer tone to boot. Always seemed cool on the forums as well.
 
His taste is exquisite 🤌
Pretty killer guitar faces too. :yes:

Nothing I've had over 40 years usually beats a bassman, super reverb, or deluxe with an overdrive for me
A super would be on my very short list of amps I wouldn't mind owning. Sound killer with a 335 and at more sane volume than a Twin. The tube rectifier def helps keep the tone banging without having to hit 130dB first, LOL.
 
It was 2 6V6, I think so 18 watts if I remember correctly. This is not the amp I had but same model, same builder and much better player than I showing some sick ZZ top tones out of it.


Hey that’s me!

When Mort and I spec’d this 5E9-A I asked him to build it an oversized box. It is quite a bit larger than a normal Deluxe but man it sounds good. Looks like yours was in same size box? Mine has an Alnico Blue in it that I absolutely love.

Here is another clip from a few years ago playing this Sean Costello riff I had stuck in my head. Shows off the tremolo pretty well.

 
Hey that’s me!

When Mort and I spec’d this 5E9-A I asked him to build it an oversized box. It is quite a bit larger than a normal Deluxe but man it sounds good. Looks like yours was in same size box? Mine has an Alnico Blue in it that I absolutely love.

Here is another clip from a few years ago playing this Sean Costello riff I had stuck in my head. Shows off the tremolo pretty well.


Yes it was same spec with the Alnico Blue. That speaker really works for the larger combo. I bought it used off another forum. Tremolo was awesome as well. Just an amazing touch sensitive circuit.
 
Noooo shit. I just listened to that and I'm not going to get it out of my head. Need to offload my 65 DRRI for a tweed of some kind I think.

I love the DRRI when it's sorted right, but the tweeds are sooo nice

there was a victoria victorilux in a local pawn shop for years near me and it was absolutely on fire good
 
Hey that’s me!

When Mort and I spec’d this 5E9-A I asked him to build it an oversized box. It is quite a bit larger than a normal Deluxe but man it sounds good. Looks like yours was in same size box? Mine has an Alnico Blue in it that I absolutely love.

Here is another clip from a few years ago playing this Sean Costello riff I had stuck in my head. Shows off the tremolo pretty well.



Where’s the clip Telephant ?

Would love to hear it.
 
I love the DRRI when it's sorted right, but the tweeds are sooo nice
If by sorted right you mean some pretty major upgrades to the guts then yes, I agree.

I think the 57 RI HPTT is the nicest Fender I've tried for an amp produced in more recent years....
 
If by sorted right you mean some pretty major upgrades to the guts then yes, I agree.

I think the 57 RI HPTT is the nicest Fender I've tried for an amp produced in more recent years....

Yes, i do - the reissues need some TLC, especially on caps and lead dress/checking for cold solder joints, shit like that all the time

Once in a while you can find a stock one that's good to go, but most of the time they need a bit of help

But if you can find a well sorted one they do sound good
 
Back
Top