Omega Obsidian: Am I missing something?

This is the swatch Mike sent me. Totally stoked about the look and love the Jube-inspired vibe.

He's also going to add a negative feedback knob on the back for me so that I can make the amp more or less "in your face" and hopefully coax some different tones out of it.

I'm cautiously optimistic!

Attachments

• 63dc06e63e4fa6.40801211.jpg
    63dc06e63e4fa6.40801211.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 79
Having read the thread with interest, I think the service has to be acknowledged as absolutely spot on.......Reminds me of when I had an issue with my Friedman Cali, emailed Dave and he responded very, very quickly and was really helpful.....would'nt hesitate in buying another Cali of a Friedman amp.
Hope the new one is more to your liking!

Yeah, luckily I like that Friedman sound. My ears tend to lean towards a darker amp then using the treble and presence to brighten it up rather than vice versa. One thing I really like on Dave's amps, and all amps TBH, is a Response/Headroom/VNFB control. That way you can get it gnarlier or smoother depending on what you like. I'm actually taking my Smallbox to Dave to have this done.

One interesting thing about Friedman amps that I actually learned from Fractal (of all places) is that Dave's amps have different NFB amounts depending on what ohmage you run it. Kind of fascinating and I bet most buyers of Friedman amps don't know this. I tested it on my Friedmans here and it absolutely makes a difference.

Source: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...st#FRIEDMAN_SMALL_BOX_.28Friedman_Smallbox.29
It’s only the early amps that have this, which was how Marshall used to do it. Dave’s newer stuff all taps off an output transformer secondary, so it’s not variable based on impedance setting.

It’s only the early amps that have this, which was how Marshall used to do it. Dave’s newer stuff all taps off an output transformer secondary, so it’s not variable based on impedance setting.
When approximately did this change happen with all taps off? Just wanna make sure I wasn’t missing anything with the Friedman’s I’ve had & tried lol

The NFB line ‘taps off’, ie connects to, a set OT secondary. I don’t know exactly when this happened, but I’m going guess sometime around 2016.

The NFB line ‘taps off’, ie connects to, a set OT secondary. I don’t know exactly when this happened, but I’m going guess sometime around 2016.
Interesting Jason, thanks much for the info. All my Friedmans are older except the JEL. The Smallbox is a 2014 and the Naked is a 2012; both absolutely sound different depending on the ohms you run them at. I’ll have to test the JEL. Don’t think I’ve ever ran it at 8 ohms.

I have a Granophyre, my understanding is the poweramp is based on a JCM800. Honestly it doesn't sound like a Marshall.

Finding the preferred balance of master and level is key.

I also had a Monomyth 1987x and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Had a huge low end response which I loved, but otherwise the tone was clanky, metallic, and too modern for my taste. The Gower 2203x I have now is much more to my liking.
I really like the one I have. The clanky is my thing but it's easy to dial out. This is a 1993.

I'm very happy to hear you are getting fantastic support with Omega. Nothing more frustrating than lack of communication or support from a company you spent good money on.

On another note, those amps are WAY overhyped IMO. I never felt more dumb/duped/whatever when I bought one based off of the hype I read and watched online and was left very underwhelmed. Actually, I felt even worse when I bought a Purple Nightmare but that wasn't internet influenced. That was just my own bad out of curiosity :ROFLMAO:

I appreciate your honesty but Shitz after that review I ain’t buying it.

I am sure someone that didn’t read your review may

Interesting Jason, thanks much for the info. All my Friedmans are older except the JEL. The Smallbox is a 2014 and the Naked is a 2012; both absolutely sound different depending on the ohms you run them at. I’ll have to test the JEL. Don’t think I’ve ever ran it at 8 ohms.
Dude you have Warm Machine?
I’d be on that man!!!

I have a Granophyre, my understanding is the poweramp is based on a JCM800. Honestly it doesn't sound like a Marshall.

Finding the preferred balance of master and level is key.
I don't expect that it will sound like a Marshall but according to the builder, it will sound more Marshally than the Obsidian, which is based off a Soldano SLO-100 and a Peavy 5150.

I'm very happy to hear you are getting fantastic support with Omega. Nothing more frustrating than lack of communication or support from a company you spent good money on.

On another note, those amps are WAY overhyped IMO. I never felt more dumb/duped/whatever when I bought one based off of the hype I read and watched online and was left very underwhelmed. Actually, I felt even worse when I bought a Purple Nightmare but that wasn't internet influenced. That was just my own bad out of curiosity :ROFLMAO:
I can't really say whether they're overhyped or not. I'll give Mike a chance to build this Granophyre with the NFB mod and then I'll evaluate.

That said, I really, really, appreciate it when builders put NFB mods on their amps. I don't understand why this isn't a standard feature on all amps. It really allows you to tailor your tone, making it more or less in-your-face and/or vintage-modern. I'm hoping that with that mod on the Granophyre, it will be a flamethrower, but a versatile flamethrower. We shall see :)

Dude you have Warm Machine?
I’d be on that man!!!
Yeah man, the Warm Machine fucking rules. Amazing amp and my most unexpected find of 2022. I play it all the time and it sounds great through almost any speaker cabinet. Takes overdrive pedals very well, too. Brian's amps are absolutely amazing and I don't know why more people aren't hyped about them. They're the first amps I've played in years where I went, "Wow, I can't believe an amp can do this."

Yeah man, the Warm Machine fucking rules. Amazing amp and my most unexpected find of 2022. I play it all the time and it sounds great through almost any speaker cabinet. Takes overdrive pedals very well, too. Brian's amps are absolutely amazing and I don't know why more people aren't hyped about them. They're the first amps I've played in years where I went, "Wow, I can't believe an amp can do this."
What amp is this Warm Machine? I googled and got no results. Help please.

I know exactly what you mean in my own experience.
For me, it’s creativity & quality woven together.
There’s a depth to the sound which you can go anywhere and it’s very inspiring to do so.
I like of that the designer/builder dude,
uses Weber’s.
Weber’s are dope AF.
I bet that Carsen’s dude has some killer’s comin’!!

Back