The peavey 5150

uglyfuzzface

How do people rate them these days ?. I have owned one for some years and love it but in this day and age you can find loads of high gain amps , unfortunately I'm going to have to sell mine due to a friedman be purchase , lord it cost a fortune in the uk .
To fund it I have no choice but to sell it , seen some sell for about £500 , but they were a little tatty , I don't want to under price mine as it's immaculate with manual box and foot switch but also need to sell fast to pay for the freedmen so any ideas on prices I should try sell for , just wondering what your views were ? . Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,622
I would keep it. I have had three 5150's only to regret selling them. Do you have something else you could sell ? It is one of those amps that you either love it or hate it. I looked for one for about three months before I found the one I wanted. I purchased it off eBay that was in mint condition for 600.00 plus shipping. It was a great deal at the time. From the pictures it looks like yours looks brand new. There has been a few on eBay for a while now from 800.00 dollars and they are not selling at that price. There is one posted on here (Rig Talk) going for 550.00 shipped. I really like the 5150 amps. The other guitar player in my band hates them. I believe these will just keep going up in value. They are good sounding, well built, reliable amp. It may not be every ones flavor today but in the future I think they going to be worth some money. This is just my opinion. I have been offered 600-700 dollars for mine a few times. It's tempting to sell and get something else but I would more than likely just by another 5150 if I sold it sooner or later.

Well I need £3000 pound to pay off the friedman .
At the minute I have these items I could let go

A Kramer Sambora
Ovation twin neck
Immaculate Carvin legacy with immaculate 2x12 cab
A reissue twin reverb
A kemper , but thought maybe if I had the kemper I could emulate the other rigs I was selling , I know it's not the same as actually owning the amps but when ya desperate for cash , could be a good compromise . I also have a marshall yjm but maybe that could be more valuable in the future pluss I like malmsteen .

Back in the day I think loads of artists used them
Eddie van halen , obviously lol
Steve Stevens
Not sure if Alice in chains had them too

Just keep it man.......they're monster amps and like mentioned above you either love them or hate them.....if you own one you obviously dig it. You sell it you're going to buy another one eventually, so save yourself the trip and just keep it. You'll get more cash for the Kemper anyway, so dump that instead.

sell everything else you listed and keep the 5150 and Friedman. Once you play through the Friedman you'll never fire up that kemper again anyways. I had the axe fx II twice...bought a Friedman and will never look back. Sold my Friedman to try a Bogner but the Friedman ruined everything else for me and ended up buying my Friedman back(thread is on here) Its the best gear purchase/re purchase Ive ever made

Keep the 5150, it's a classic…..bulletproof too! Run some M75s with it, it will sound even more awesome and that fizziness will be gone.

Keep the YJm.
Dump the Kemper.

uglyfuzzface":2kuo83v6 said:
Back in the day I think loads of artists used them
Eddie van halen , obviously lol
Steve Stevens
Not sure if Alice in chains had them too

Attachments

• 5150.jpg
    5150.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 1,524
Ahhhh man i just cant decide about the kemper , its the power rack head , i want to keep everything ha ha , i am a lucky guy to be in this position i suppose but i love all my gear , maybe i would get the most money for the kemper especially since they are a mega hot product . Ahhhh mind you the friedman is that hor rodded plexi marshall i always wanted so cant conplain what ever sells . £3000 is a mega anount for an amp , gulp .

I miss my 5150. I have a Mesa Dual Rec and I am STILL gassing for a 5150. If the Mesa sells, I will get another 5150 in a heartbeat.

EVHpickdust":2214kmv3 said:
*Old Peavey Ad*
[/quote]

Ah, the 90's: When amp companies couldn't face the fact that 99% of the people that used their products were metal bands. Trixter hahaha.

i love the kemper, having just gotten one last month but
the kemper's the most easily replaceable out of the lot, and chances are you'll be able to sell it rather quickly for decent cash

a first generation 5150 won't necessarily be the easiest to find again, and it won't be the actual one you gigged/played with all this time

Yes you have me torn now about selling the real amps ,just thought if I kept the kemper I would have something in the same ball park as my other amps I was gonna sell , on the other hand it would be easier buying another kemper than amps that arnt produced anymore and in the condition I have them . Then again I don't really use the 5150 anymore , it's more a collectors thing and every now and again I will give it a blast .

5150 combo is still my favorite amp, after playing some fryettes and a mako for a long time. The mako was REALLY close. I need to try one of his heads.

they're a dime a dozen over here in america.

most of them are very consistent sounding too...if i lived here, i'd dump it....but, since over there, thy're harder to come by, keeping is the right choice.

Keep it!!

Not sure how much they are worth here in the UK. I have had mine since 1992 and its been well used over the years. I took it to dennis marshall in scotland 4 years ago. He looked over it, serviced and modded it with cameron mods etc and other things he recommended. He advised me to hold on to it as its a great amp. Its sentimental for me as my parents bought it for me when I was 16. A friend was selling it. He didn't like it and was desperate to get rid of it. I had a try out for a week, loved it and was going to save to buy it. My parents surprised me by arranging it. Its been gigged all over the UK over the past 2 decades and been in lots of recording studios since then. I wish I never left it till 2010 to have modded though!

Well so far I sold the kemper , so 5150 is safe unless I can unload the Kramer jersey star and ovation double neck . How did the mods improve your tone ?

Back