James Hetfield at GC

jkkkjkhk

I kind of felt the opposite about that interview. Don't know why but it just rubs me the wrong way, kind of like he's so disconnected from the person he used to be that even when he talks about the past it's like it's just a story. After all the interviews and videos of him I've seen this one was just 'off' to me. Just my opinion though.

jkkkjkhk":1rrmzguk said:
I kind of felt the opposite about that interview. Don't know why but it just rubs me the wrong way, kind of like he's so disconnected from the person he used to be that even when he talks about the past it's like it's just a story. After all the interviews and videos of him I've seen this one was just 'off' to me. Just my opinion though.

+1. His 'born again' persona is weird and insincere.

jkkkjkhk":32c7u685 said:

He is very disconnected to who he used to be. That was his goal for a stable family life. He was a raging, self-destructive drunk. Sure, its not very Rock n Roll, but I give the man lots of credit for prioritizing his life and sticking with it. I find that hard to do myself from time to time and I'm a nobody with no pressure to act a certain way. For him to accomplish all that with basically unlimited power and money really shows the type of person he truly is. :yes:
Dude loves his wife and kids 100% and changed for them. That's a true man, gents.

Tone Monster":1p336qm9 said:
jkkkjkhk":1p336qm9 said:

He is very disconnected to who he used to be. That was his goal for a stable family life. He was a raging, self-destructive drunk. Sure, its not very Rock n Roll, but I give the man lots of credit for prioritizing his life and sticking with it. I find that hard to do myself from time to time and I'm a nobody with no pressure to act a certain way. For him to accomplish all that with basically unlimited power and money really shows the type of person he truly is. :yes:
Dude loves his wife and kids 100% and changed for them. That's a true man, gents.

+1, exactly!

Tone Monster":22s5itf4 said:
jkkkjkhk":22s5itf4 said:

:yes: :thumbsup:

Tone Monster":2atzg9yp said:
jkkkjkhk":2atzg9yp said:

Well said.

Tone Monster":2vgm19nh said:
jkkkjkhk":2vgm19nh said:

Oh yeah I get that completely. I'm sure he was a total asshole before he straightened himself out, bet he's a cool guy now and I'm very happy for him for what he's achieved and being able to confront his demons. Just meaning what made so many people connect with him and his music has changed so drastically that he's like a completely different guy now and his music has changes drastically with him. Nothing wrong with that, it's his life, just personally I don't care for most I hear from him/them anymore. Still have tons of respect for him though.

He has always appeared to me as being the more intelligent member of Metallica, on top of being the most inspired musician.

I found James to be quite genuine and somewhat humble (especially in the beginning) in the video which was nice to see! The ability to self-reflect, realize the mistakes that were made, acknowledge those mistakes and own them, then have a desire to move forward in positive directions in life is very commendable. I enjoyed that interview and it really made me what more. Good for him and I certainly wish him well!

Two other notes...................the best right hand (rhythm) in the game and that clip sounded killer!

Ratou":2jc3wc93 said:
He has always appeared to me as being the more intelligent member of Metallica, on top of being the most inspired musician.

Obviously, we've only seen less than 1% of their lives, through a tv screen, but...and everyone be sure to read this sentence in it's entirty....I think that Lars is the most intelligent member, yet he has the least accurate perception of reality. James probably has the best balance, or maybe "wise" would be a better word

I can certainly relate. I was never a drunk but I had mega-issues dudes. I was in and out of prison until I was 26 (4 years the first time and 2 years the last time) and was not a good guy. Now I am a family man with a stable career as a company exec. Something had to go and it was the old me. I am so much happier now. It wasn't an easy road to make positive change but I have come a long way.

mudf00t":3tm4y9ws said:
I can certainly relate. I was never a drunk but I had mega-issues dudes. I was in and out of prison until I was 26 (4 years the first time and 2 years the last time) and was not a good guy. Now I am a family man with a stable career as a company exec. Something had to go and it was the old me. I am so much happier now. It wasn't an easy road to make positive change but I have come a long way.

:thumbsup:

mudf00t":1ht4kou6 said:

I was going to say, how about a shout out to the real men out there.. guys like mudf00t who didn't have access to all the $ in the world or millions of adoring fans and just did it on their own without GC interviews. Those are the real role models for society. People who nobody knows but who change for the good of the next generation and keep them on the right path. (and by that I absolutely do not mean religion of any type. I just mean society in general)

Man, for a guy that had trouble communicating maybe when he was younger, he's sure got it down now. Good for him.

Fucking badass cool dude.

Tone Monster":16nw58tq said:
jkkkjkhk":16nw58tq said:

It takes a strong person to get help and beat any vice for any reason. He had some serious motivation in the form of his wife, kids etc which is great for him. Many people aren't so lucky.

Remember though folks, we only know what weve been told, there's a lot of people putting a lot of certainty behind their speculations when it comes to who he is, was, will be etc. I am sure we know very little when it comes to the grand scheme.

"Remember where you came from"
While this may be true, it's never as important as "know where you want to go"
When "keeping it real" means not evolving, then it's keeping it wrong

OMG, dude ages by 30 years and changes, imagine that. :scared:

Talks about the past like it is a story:
"I can remember when"
"I used to"
"There was a time when I"
Sounds pretty normal to me.

What Were you expecting him to talk about: :confused:
"Fuck the posers"
"Kill Bon Jovi"
"Where's the Jager?"

Dude seems pretty focused and in place.
Many rock stars his age have not faired so well health and mental wise

Tone Monster":39rkhzvo said:
jkkkjkhk":39rkhzvo said:

I agree 100 % that his family must come before anything Metallica related. But watching many interviews over the years, I saw his "transformation" from the younger man of few words "Jaymz" to the "Papa Het" persona happen as early as the mid 90's Load era, well before the documented alcohol rehab. I get it, people change, but this seemed something else than just maturing as a person.

Back