Metro Amp forum?

I dont care...... :gethim: All the people with knowledge(including myself and many others) were banned from that site.

im so glad when i find a thread i think i can reference for amp mods/repair, instead of bookmarking, i just save the page to my hard drive. i've learned that doing that instead of bookmarking saves me a LOT of headache.

nitro":d5hw5roz said:
I dont care...... :gethim: All the people with knowledge(including myself and many others) were banned from that site.
I didn't know you had technical amp building/repair/modding knowledge? Is that the case? All I remember you doing was arguing that you can't get VHI levels of gain with a stock plexi and mentioning your many conversations with Jose Arredondo where he told you Ed used a distortion pedal on VHI... :confused:

Steve

The knowledge that I shared(Van halen sound) was from my conversations with Jose Arrenedondo and other people that were involved with Edward back in the late 70s into the 80s.Your memory is good I would argue about achieveing the Van halen 1 sound from a stock plexi which is BS and I stand by that today.Sah5150 you build amps then you should know that.... :confused:

For those who care, the situation is not good. The server was infected by malware. It may have been a malicious attack and we are looking into that forenzically. The malware is so deeply embedded that they don't know if they can remove it, there's a distinct possibility that I will lose everything from over 10 years online. My entire web archive, forum, store, database and both websites could be gone. The longer this continues, the more likely it seems that it is lost.

I'll be the first to blame myself for not being better protected and fully backed up off site. It's 100% my own fault. I'm a complete internet neophyte and didn't comprehend the possibilities for loss or what steps should have been taken to prevent this catastrophie.

It makes me physically ill to think about all the info that may be lost from metro forum. So many amazing techs, tonal breakthroughs, passionate debates etc, including posts from people who are longer with us. Most of that can never be replaced. The forum was far bigger than me and metroamp, I feel like it was my responsibility to maintain and preserve it and I dropped he ball.
There's a chance that internet cache may have some of those pages saved and could be part of a painstaking start over from scratch.

For now, it doesn't look good but we are exploring every option and resource to recover as much as possible. I'll do my best to post updates.

George

sah5150":1wa9jqep said:
nitro":1wa9jqep said:
I didn't know you had technical amp building/repair/modding knowledge? Is that the case? All I remember you doing was arguing that you can't get VHI levels of gain with a stock plexi and mentioning your many conversations with Jose Arredondo where he told you Ed used a distortion pedal on VHI... :confused:

Steve
Whoa. That there's a whole whack o' truth just waitin' to hurt someone :LOL: :LOL:

Velvetgeorge":2fx6ozk3 said:
For those who care, the situation is not good. The server was infected by malware. It may have been a malicious attack and we are looking into that forenzically. The malware is so deeply embedded that they don't know if they can remove it, there's a distinct possibility that I will lose everything from over 10 years online. My entire web archive, forum, store, database and both websites could be gone. The longer this continues, the more likely it seems that it is lost.

I'll be the first to blame myself for not being better protected and fully backed up off site. It's 100% my own fault. I'm a complete internet neophyte and didn't comprehend the possibilities for loss or what steps should have been taken to prevent this catastrophie.

It makes me physically ill to think about all the info that may be lost from metro forum. So many amazing techs, tonal breakthroughs, passionate debates etc, including posts from people who are longer with us. Most of that can never be replaced. The forum was far bigger than me and metroamp, I feel like it was my responsibility to maintain and preserve it and I dropped he ball.
There's a chance that internet cache may have some of those pages saved and could be part of a painstaking start over from scratch.

For now, it doesn't look good but we are exploring every option and resource to recover as much as possible. I'll do my best to post updates.

George
So sorry to hear this, George! I am hoping that there is some kind of recovery possible from this. Such an incredible resource - I learned so much from the forum and enjoyed sharing my amp building journey with everyone there...

Steve

nitro":22175t0i said:
The knowledge that I shared(Van halen sound) was from my conversations with Jose Arrenedondo and other people that were involved with Edward back in the late 70s into the 80s.Your memory is good I would argue about achieveing the Van halen 1 sound from a stock plexi which is BS and I stand by that today.Sah5150 you build amps then you should know that.... :confused:
I could get it from a stock plexi... With a Boss GE-10, just like Ed did... :confused: Regardless, I thought you were talking about amp knowledge - thanks for clarifying. I knew Jose pretty well back in the mid-80s - nice dude that did some great work for me...

Steve

Ed didnt use the ge10 until the japan 78 tour,he couldnt have used it for the recording of Van halen 1.Plexi + ge10 not enough saturation gain for VH1.

Back