Modeling amps on stage

guitarnate2000

Do any of you miss the real tube experience when you use modeling amps live?

I went through different phases with them and it has been love/hate. The first time I used on was out of necessity at a gig.

1. Line 6 Vetta at a gig because my triple rec shorted out when my tech did not plug the speaker cable all the way into the head. I did not hate it but definetly not in love
2. Line 6 Vetta running with my triple rec was pretty cool. lot of compliments on my sound from folks at the show.
3. rocktron prophesy through a VHT power amp. I got the entire setup from Rusty Cooley. his presets really made this rig cool but at the end it was his sound and not what I was looking for.
4. rocktron prophesy through a Mesa power amp. Same situation as above with more sag
5. AxeFX1 with a Mesa power amp. I thought this would be it and then onstage, it did not respond like a tube amp and I swore off of that type of setup forever.
6. Line 6 Helix- had to be the worst sounding to me in regards to feeling "it" while playing live.

I had fun with all these rigs but found all of them to be lacking the feel I get when I use my tube amps. Have any of you been able to get past tubes and 100% use modeling amps live? if so are you totally happy or do you find any areas, like I have, that seem to be lacking?

Maybe a little? I use both at different times and for different bands.

My modeler setup is AXE FX III --> Matrix GT1000FX --> Pair Of Bogner 1x12 Cabs with Celestion Alnico Creams

I only use my kemper for fly-in/travel gigs and if I'm playing somewhere that supplies 4x12's and i need an easy quick setup/teardown. I had all 4 channels of my Engl Powerball II profiled so that's what I use in it. Sounds similiar but not quite the same.

Do any of you miss the real tube experience when you use modeling amps live?

I went through different phases with them and it has been love/hate. The first time I used on was out of necessity at a gig.

1. Line 6 Vetta at a gig because my triple rec shorted out when my tech did not plug the speaker cable all the way into the head. I did not hate it but definetly not in love
2. Line 6 Vetta running with my triple rec was pretty cool. lot of compliments on my sound from folks at the show.
3. rocktron prophesy through a VHT power amp. I got the entire setup from Rusty Cooley. his presets really made this rig cool but at the end it was his sound and not what I was looking for.
4. rocktron prophesy through a Mesa power amp. Same situation as above with more sag
5. AxeFX1 with a Mesa power amp. I thought this would be it and then onstage, it did not respond like a tube amp and I swore off of that type of setup forever.
6. Line 6 Helix- had to be the worst sounding to me in regards to feeling "it" while playing live.

I had fun with all these rigs but found all of them to be lacking the feel I get when I use my tube amps. Have any of you been able to get past tubes and 100% use modeling amps live? if so are you totally happy or do you find any areas, like I have, that seem to be lacking?
How were you running the Helix? My guitarist uses a Helix through a Mesa power amp and a Mesa Recto cab and it feels like his old Rectifier rig.

How were you running the Helix? My guitarist uses a Helix through a Mesa power amp and a Mesa Recto cab and it feels like his old Rectifier rig.
The Helix was the first unit I actually took to a gig and used as an amp. That's where it lacked... for me without tubes somewhere in my chain, I jusst cannot totally feel it.

Back