PRS MT-15 or 6505mh

Jay Cee

I noticed quickly that my 6505mh has a lot of honkin low mid down on low vol but it sounds good eq'd (Boss 7 band) with different speakers also. Is the Mt-15 dark when it's down low or is it fairly clear?

I have both of these and the PRS is a complete different beast. Not to say the little Peavey isn't cool, but IMO the PRS with its 6L6 tubes is a better all-around amp unless you prefer that 6505 tone. I wouldn't say the MT15 is "dark" but I tend to have the treble up pretty high, and I'm using the matching cab. As the previous poster mentioned, the presence can fine tune any type high-end / crispiness you want.

I have been having a hard time not buying the MT15. All the reviews and vids make it sound like it would fill a hole that I have in the tone room. Currently running Marshall and hot rodded Marshall tones and the MT15 leans toward a Recto'ish tone from what I can hear.

Dropped off my LP for some work a couple weeks ago and saw a MT15 for $649 on the floor. Just might pick it up this weekend if my guitar is ready.

Jay Cee for the price, you should probably own both!

The MT15 is very close to a boosted Recto on modern, without the stupid sub lows and crazy fizz. It has quite a bit of mids.

You have to run the treble and pres. high on the MT. I don't find it very clear sounding but it's not muffled or crazy dark. I have a Stiletto 412.

If you want clear, scooped tone, look at a Mesa Marks. I do miss having a Mark for low volume stuff or super tight and focused stuff.

It's been a few years since I played a 6505. I came across a few demos and the MH surprised me. I thought it sounded great. Sonic drive studios has really good demos of many amps including the 6505 and MT15.

Never tried the mini Peavey but I owned the M15 and wow. Can't see many mini amps being better. Maybe the JJ or CCV.

That PRS MT15 sounded really killer for 600 bones. The EVH 50 watters also sound absoutely killer. I find any amp with EL84 or 6V6 versus full size EL34 or 6l6 tubes just sound and feel small. I played a Randall Diavalo 45 once and jamming by itself it sound alright but next to a real 2203 100 watter it sounded and felt like a facsimile of a real amp.

Here's our very own ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRL 's recorded MT15, it sound massive with great tone IMO.

harddriver":ux2hw778 said:
That PRS MT15 sounded really killer for 600 bones. The EVH 50 watters also sound absoutely killer. I find any amp with EL84 or 6V6 versus full size EL34 or 6l6 tubes just sound and feel small. I played a Randall Diavalo 45 once and jamming by itself it sound alright but next to a real 2203 100 watter it sounded and felt like a facsimile of a real amp.

Through the PA as well? The Randall is a 6L6 amp, BTW :)

Bought the MT-15. Something is up, dark and woofy as all hell! I got Di Marzio D Activators, WGS Retro 30 / Reaper 30 4X12 and i gotta eq the piss out of it. Got the presence at 3:00 and the treble at 2:00, mids at 1:00, bass at 12:00 and i get this boxy tone like the 400hz is cranked. The 6505 was like that too. Maybe my pickups are fucked or i have a tube out in both amps? They were both GC buys...

I found my MT15 to have quite a smooth and dark voice. I took out three of the JJs in the preamp, and added a Tungsol and two EH 12ax7s. This added some nice bite and high-end cut to the amp that just wasn't there before. I run it through a Mesa Trad 412.

Guys, we got a new king! I just bought the Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 and like more than both! Keep the presence low though. It's got the Dual Rec rumble, if you want, it's almost as dark as the MT15 and has the gain of the 6505. You'll never go past 11:00 with the gain! You don't want speaker with that sharp treble with this amp is the only thing.

Back