Saw Dream Theater last weekend

jimo

I'm an old guy and have been a DT fan since Images & Words album first came out. I feel like these guys came to New Mexico as an afterthought as they were going from Phoenix to Denver (it was a Sunday night-there was no opening act). There wasn't much promotion, and the venue (~2000 seats) where they played was maybe a little over 1/2 full (kind of lame but thats another discussion). First of all the show was incredible and if DT is playing near you just go. It was kind of strange - they played for an hour and took about a 10-15 min break - but then they came back out and played for another two hours! It was very loud, guitar tones were killer, drum sound was thunderous. Petrucci had 3 full stacks with 3 JP2C heads (I know he mics cabs off stage and has rack-mounted heads but it looked cool). I've never really been a fan of the Majesty but he played a white one for a couple songs -it sounded amazing and looked killer - made me want one. As expected James LaBrie really couldn't hit all the notes that he could 25 years ago but still sounded really good. And of course Jordan Rudess and John Myung were just ridiculous.

I had seen DT once before but not since they hired Mike Mangini. Some say he is too technical/robotic, but he fit right in, just a killer player, I see now why they hired him. Didn't even miss Portnoy. Their level of professionalism is something anyone who plays music should go just to witness - even if prog rock isn't your thing (not the same as watching on Youtube :>). Its been a while since I've heard a live band so tight - you just can't fake playing together as long as these guys have been. They had a "no video/camera" policy which I respected so I don't have any pics. And actually it was nice for a change to enjoy a concert without people holding phones up the whole time - and for the most part security was enforcing it.

Sounds like a killer show! Personally, I love seeing great acts at intimate venues. Winery Dogs X2 in recent years, once in Iowa/Illinois border town in a small club. Maybe 150 people. Awesome.

I hope they come somewhere near here at some point, Id love to see them again (for the 6th time) I hear that about Mangini, but I think he's amazing. Despite whatever kind of night JL has, you know Petrucci is gonna bless you with some amazing guitar tones and playing. Rudess and Myung are both off the charts live

jimo":19364s5g said:
I'm an old guy and have been a DT fan since Images & Words album first came out. I feel like these guys came to New Mexico as an afterthought as they were going from Phoenix to Denver (it was a Sunday night-there was no opening act). There wasn't much promotion, and the venue (~2000 seats) where they played was maybe a little over 1/2 full (kind of lame but thats another discussion). First of all the show was incredible and if DT is playing near you just go. It was kind of strange - they played for an hour and took about a 10-15 min break - but then they came back out and played for another two hours! It was very loud, guitar tones were killer, drum sound was thunderous. Petrucci had 3 full stacks with 3 JP2C heads (I know he mics cabs off stage and has rack-mounted heads but it looked cool). I've never really been a fan of the Majesty but he played a white one for a couple songs -it sounded amazing and looked killer - made me want one. As expected James LaBrie really couldn't hit all the notes that he could 25 years ago but still sounded really good. And of course Jordan Rudess and John Myung were just ridiculous.

I had seen DT once before but not since they hired Mike Mangini. Some say he is too technical/robotic, but he fit right in, just a killer player, I see now why they hired him. Didn't even miss Portnoy. Their level of professionalism is something anyone who plays music should go just to witness - even if prog rock isn't your thing (not the same as watching on Youtube :>). Its been a while since I've heard a live band so tight - you just can't fake playing together as long as these guys have been. They had a "no video/camera" policy which I respected so I don't have any pics. And actually it was nice for a change to enjoy a concert without people holding phones up the whole time - and for the most part security was enforcing it.
The Majesty is an absolutely killer sounding and playing guitar. It resonates like you won't believe. Lightweight and very balanced. Surprised the shit out of me. Looks way better in person. I have the Claro Walnut one and I love it. I have a few nice guitars here too.

Not a huge fan, but I'd like to see them with Mangini. I caught them on their last tour with Portnoy, and he was pretty full of himself.

Just saw them last night, great show. Small theater was packed.

Yea Petrucci's Mesa stacks are fakes, as they all use in ear monitors and rack gear. He has the 2 1X12 cubes by his pedalboard so he can induce feedback into the guitar when he wants too.

They played about 6 songs off various albums, took a 15 min break and came back and played the whole Images and Words album and then the encore was the 20 min song "A Change of Seasons"

baron55":33qnog80 said:
Just saw them last night, great show. Small theater was packed.

Yea Petrucci's Mesa stacks are fakes, as they all use in ear monitors and rack gear. He has the 2 1X12 cubes by his pedalboard so he can induce feedback into the guitar when he wants too.

They played about 6 songs off various albums, took a 15 min break and came back and played the whole Images and Words album and then the encore was the 20 min song "A Change of Seasons"

I saw them last night in Peoria Il. They did the same there. Mangini head a drum solo in Metropolis that was just sick. FOH mix was not as clear as it could have been. Still an awesome show. Ran into a fellow guitarist I haven't seen in over 10 years and I'm surprised he still remembered me. We say next to a group of drunken cougars. Some of them spent half the show passed out.

I agree about the mix. Mangini is a monster, but his drums were tuned way to low . It seemed like his kit was fighting with all the bass frequencies. All his toms were also tuned real low but his drumming was really lost in the mix. His solo was great.

I would say this last tour was almost as good as the first time I saw them in 89. Not quite but almost. lol

I went to the Oakland show at The Fox Theater...incredible show. I sang myself hoarse. After, my singer (pictured with me and Jordan on the left) was able to get us backstage passes, and I got to meet a couple of the guys. Great dudes, and a personal band bucket list check-off.

Attachments

• 2325D036-3580-409D-B20A-1005297E356C.jpeg
    2325D036-3580-409D-B20A-1005297E356C.jpeg
    666.3 KB · Views: 1,252
  • 75079B4E-911E-4EBE-956B-898A28C2AD6E.jpeg
    75079B4E-911E-4EBE-956B-898A28C2AD6E.jpeg
    589.6 KB · Views: 1,256
My drummer caught Them Saturday in Peoria and said it was a great show. He has seen them probably 30 times but basically worships them. Always cool to meet hero’s.

Nice man! I have been a DT fan since images. They have some stuff that is "hit or miss" for me but overall I am a big fan.

I usually catch DT every tour when they come through Chicago or Milwaukee (ironically I missed it this time due to work). I may be in the minority here, but I prefer DT with Mangini over Portnoy. I always liked Portnoy's style but felt his stage antics on trying to be the center of attention always took away from shows.

Needless to say, highly recommend checking them out, their shows I've seen from the last couple of tours were my favorite to date!

I love DT and would have liked to have seen them on this tour, but they played Oakland and L.A. on weekend nights and would have had to basically take 2 days off to go see them as the venues were 3-4 hours away. I'm sure this tour is great since they are playing I&W, but their last tour was so boring doing that Astonishing crap!

Hope they pick it up again on the next album cuz the last two albums for me were not at all good in my opinion! Glad to hear you liked the show jimo!

chameleon2112":2ylzpy86 said:
I love DT and would have liked to have seen them on this tour, but they played Oakland and L.A. on weekend nights and would have had to basically take 2 days off to go see them as the venues were 3-4 hours away. I'm sure this tour is great since they are playing I&W, but their last tour was so boring doing that Astonishing crap!

Hope they pick it up again on the next album cuz the last two albums for me were not at all good in my opinion! Glad to hear you liked the show jimo!

Nothing at all against Mangini he is great. And Portnoy can rub people the wrong way, but Portnoy was a major writer in that band lyrics and music. And the albums with Mangini don't seem to be the same, the drumming is flawless but the writing is more elevator music with one or 2 heavy songs.

Skipped seeing them when they were in Seattle due to excessive ticket pricing. For the same money I saw Yngwie, Nightwish and a Blind Guardian.

When ticket prices are more for DT than seeing Trans Siberian I feel a tad used. I'm only comparing production size not musical validity.

I've seen them 7 times but they refuse to come to Utah anymore. I'm sure it isn't financially viable for them anymore. Last time they came here was for the A Dramatic Turn of Events tour. Maybe again someday. This Images and Words tour would've been cool though. At least I won tickets for the G3 show in January.

Back