So NAM A2 is shitting all over everything and I'm here for it.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nigel
  • Start date Start date
This is why I want to grab that little Chinese modeler I posted up a couple weeks ago for like $50. It does its thing but it also runs the Nam profiles. I think that’s a sweet feature. Please I have my isp power amp that I’m only using to power a pedal only rig. Which is surprisingly pretty sweet sounding.
Just do it. Even the built in presets whatever the fuck they are soud great once you dial the retard settings back. For jamming or back up it is a no brainer. Not gonna sell my Mark VII because of it but I got great tones with the 5150, Recto, Splawn, Mark IV, JCM800 and Plexi. You can pick which mic and position and from a bunch of cabs which helps dial in the presets.
 
There is actually something i just realized that may be a bit offtopic, but may be relevant. When i make presets, because the EQ is essentially fixed, when i play with a different guitar, it sounds bad.

I wonder if this is some of what is happening when one person tries another's preset
One of the main complaints players of expensive gear make. It's being addressed.
 
NAM A2 has the 90's cyberpunk internet cafe tech boom startup energy. Tremendous value, low investment, rapid proliferation/adoption, joy of experimenting, in-time (timeless) effortless play and creativity. It's basically a new zenith in tonework.
 
Part of the reason modeling is still better than this stuff is because the captures are done with certain amps and pups/guitars and these capture those things too....


So youre capturing the rig not the amp and again it's just a snapshot/frame.....



With a modeling unit you can simply change the EQ settings and gain and volume and you get something that behaves more like an amp. With the captures you can't really do that and while it's fine as the old saying goes, "if it's too good to be true it probably is." Nvm as said its free.
 
Last edited:
Part of the reason modeling is still better than this stuff is because the captures are done with certain amps and pups/guitars and these capture those things too....


So youre capturing the rig not the amp and again it's just a snapshot/frame.....



With a modeling unit you can simply change the EQ settings and gain and volume and you get something that behaves more like an amp. With the captures you can't really do that and while it's fine as the old saying goes, "if it's too good to be true it probably is." Nvm as said its free.

True, but by the same token, I find that there is less option paralysis. If I have a folder of 20 different DI captures of a 2203 head, I load up my favorite IR, and then I just hit the arrow and scroll through until I find the one that suits me. From there, maybe a minor gain and EQ tweak and I'm good to go.
In the case of Fractal, there might be 35-40 amp parameters that can be tweaked with umpteen possible combinations. I like that I don't have all of those options so that I'm not fiddle-fucking around.
 
Last edited:
The official standalone and plugin app is Gateway. Easy to use but you need to know the maximum input level at unity gain for your audio interface for the best results.

https://www.neuralampmodeler.com/users

Check out @2dor 's captures on Tone3000 -
https://www.tone3000.com/2dor
+1 for @2dor captures. He's doing parametric captures for you knob turners. For me, I find a preset I like and either use the DI capture and route it to the Line in on my Fryette PS-2A, or through the power section (FX return) of a 100W amp for a different flavor - this let's me hear the capture through my own cab(s). If I'm playing silently, I use his mic'd amp captures and listen through headphones through my Scarlet Solo interface which was like $100. With any of these methods I can use high quality captures and demo amps I might be interested in buying or just straight up try something new
 
+1 for @2dor captures. He's doing parametric captures for you knob turners. For me, I find a preset I like and either use the DI capture and route it to the Line in on my Fryette PS-2A, or through the power section (FX return) of a 100W amp for a different flavor - this let's me hear the capture through my own cab(s). If I'm playing silently, I use his mic'd amp captures and listen through headphones through my Scarlet Solo interface which was like $100. With any of these methods I can use high quality captures and demo amps I might be interested in buying or just straight up try something new

For sure, @2dor has some of the best NAM captures out there especially when it comes to the metal amps. Check out the Uberschall that he released recently. It's brutal.
 
True, but by the same token, I find that there is less option paralysis. If I have a folder of 20 different DI captures of a 2203 head, I load up my favorite IR, and then I just hit the arrow and scroll through until I find the one that suits me. From there, maybe a minor gain and EQ tweak and I'm good to go.
In the case of Fractal, there might be 35-40 amp parameters that can be tweaked with umpteen possible combinations. I like that I don't have all of those options so that I'm not fiddle-fucking around.
I fell like I spend way too much time searching for the perfect IR - have any you'd recommend?
 
For sure, @2dor has some of the best NAM captures out there especially when it comes to the metal amps. Check out the Uberschall that he released recently. It's brutal.

I will have to look for that
 
+1 for @2dor captures. He's doing parametric captures for you knob turners. For me, I find a preset I like and either use the DI capture and route it to the Line in on my Fryette PS-2A, or through the power section (FX return) of a 100W amp for a different flavor - this let's me hear the capture through my own cab(s). If I'm playing silently, I use his mic'd amp captures and listen through headphones through my Scarlet Solo interface which was like $100. With any of these methods I can use high quality captures and demo amps I might be interested in buying or just straight up try something new
Another side note... I recently learned about self attenuating the PS-2A... Since it has 2 speaker outputs you connect one to your cab (8 ohm for me) then the other speaker output to the amp input on the Fryette. This allows the toggles on the side to be activated for a little more shaping as well as giving it a more realistic sound with the extra loading (at bedroom volumes)
 
True, but by the same token, I find that there is less option paralysis. If I have a folder of 20 different DI captures of a 2203 head, I load up my favorite IR, and then I just hit the arrow and scroll through until I find the one that suits me. From there, maybe a minor gain and EQ tweak and I'm good to go.
In the case of Fractal, there might be 35-40 amp parameters that can be tweaked with umpteen possible combinations. I like that I don't have all of those options so that I'm not fiddle-fucking around.
I just don't plug stuff into the computer..... Or try to get too much into the extra parameters.

On average if I don't like something out of the box I usually find I will never like it no matter what. In this sense a lot of the Boss and Line 6 stuff makes more sense for someone like me and more practical too and as said they actually model and behave more like real amps and dont just capture a set tone of an amp.


In this sense modeling is still miles ahead as its more "real" and behaves more like the real deal.


Plus I'm not going to buy all the computer stuff to make this work on its own anyways :dunno:
 
I fell like I spend way too much time searching for the perfect IR - have any you'd recommend?

What type of speaker do you like in real life? For me, I find that the Ownhammer Rock Box Essentials are hard to beat. They're mix ready without having to use much high/low cuts. The Classic Rock Essentials pack (Greenbacks) is my go to for Marshall type sounds. There's also an Essentials pack for V30, G12-65, and others.
 
I just don't plug stuff into the computer..... Or try to get too much into the extra parameters.

On average if I don't like something out of the box I usually find I will never like it no matter what. In this sense a lot of the Boss and Line 6 stuff makes more sense for someone like me and more practical too and as said they actually model and behave more like real amps and dont just capture a set tone of an amp.


In this sense modeling is still miles ahead as its more "real" and behaves more like the real deal.


Plus I'm not going to buy all the computer stuff to make this work on its own anyways :dunno:

I used to hate playing through the computer, but I have had a change over the last year or two. The software has gotten so good that now I really dont see the point in buying hardware modelers unless you are playing out. A good computer setup is way better with what is available.
 
I used to hate playing through the computer, but I have had a change over the last year or two. The software has gotten so good that now I really dont see the point in buying hardware modelers unless you are playing out. A good computer setup is way better with what is available.
Yeah its more for dudes with a top end set up or a decent one to start with however much it cost.


It makes sense then and I can see the appeal.
 
Yeah its more for dudes with a top end set up or a decent one to start with however much it cost.


It makes sense then and I can see the appeal.

You can use a cheap Mac mini and $100 audio interface to make some pro sounding recordings. Plugging your guitar into the interface and playing through amp sims is fun as hell, especially late at night when your neighbors or family are sleeping.
 
I fell like I spend way too much time searching for the perfect IR - have any you'd recommend?

I would suggest getting torpedo wall of sound/Genome, and then getting a pack that has the speakers you like IRL

It's incredibly simple and easy to use
 
Plugging your guitar into the interface and playing through amp sims is fun as hell, especially late at night when your neighbors or family are sleeping.
This is how i do it. For practicing or when family is alseep, i can olay through headphones.

I really can't get near the enjoyment out of it as playing at volume though, so I end up moving on before long. I really need to sound proof my music room
 
Back
Top