Tell me about the Budda Superdrive 18 head...

napalmdeath

I'm about to pull the trigger on one. I like all that I've heard so far, but maybe not for metal? Well, I heard the same about the Peavey Classic 30, and with the right boost, and an EQ in the loop, I nailed metal tones!

Basically, I like a more vintage high-gain tone, for Gary Moore style lead tones, and 80's Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, and some drop D. I'm looking for a lower wattage, high end amp, and this one seems to fit the bill.

I got an awesome deal on one new, and I just may go for it. I'm sure between my Maxon OD808, Hardwire CM-2, Custom Badass, or Wylde OD, I can get it pretty pissed off sounding if need-be, no?? Does this amp take boosts well??

I had one for a while and really liked it. Took pedals well. I liked the SD-1 and the OCD with it. MXR Micro amp worked well too.

I had an SD80 that did metal just fine with a boost. A little different though because of the added headroom and tightness from solid state rectifier versus the tube rectifier in the SD18. My SD80 vid is on youtube...

Vintage high gain. . .all you gotta do is turn the amp on, turn the gain up to around 7 or 8 and start playing. Budda's are great amps.

So the SD series stuff is also considered a fairly pedal friendly platform as well? Nice to know!

marshallmel":35qyuz08 said:
I had one for a while and really liked it. Took pedals well. I liked the SD-1 and the OCD with it. MXR Micro amp worked well too.

So, did it tighten it up?

Again, I'm no 7-stringer, no low tuning, I like a vintage Priest/Maiden/early Dio, Sabbath, into 80's thrash.. I like a refined drop-D, that's about as extreme as I'll get. The Randall will handle any heavier stuff.

I loved my SDII 30, played it a lot at home. For some reason, and I couldn't figure out why, it got drowned in the band. I just couldn't ehar myself although the amp was way loud. But it has something addictive going with the low end, especially with the mid shift pulled, great amp and lots of fun!

napalmdeath":tc9e7yh9 said:
marshallmel":tc9e7yh9 said:

So, did it tighten it up?

Again, I'm no 7-stringer, no low tuning, I like a vintage Priest/Maiden/early Dio, Sabbath, into 80's thrash.. I like a refined drop-D, that's about as extreme as I'll get. The Randall will handle any heavier stuff.

I used it in an 80's metal tribute band and it nailed all of that shit.

Back