Too many sections

Luca79

Most of people post everything in the main section, because is what people read. I never navigate in the others, and suspect many others never do it.
I never understand the need to have subsections for brands... anyway i think it not working so well.

Just click the "new posts" link to list additions since last visit to all forums except OTC.

There're audio / guitar-related forums with waaay more subforms than we have here. They're a necessary "evil" anyway.

Much easier to find relevant threads / topics in appropriate sub-forums than to pick your way through the exhaustive mish-mash of results you'd get from using the search function.

If the sub-forum thing didn't work, all the audio sites would only have one huge pool of threads. What a mess that would be.

Again, I suggest clicking the "new posts" link and once you've sifted through the results, click "mark forums read". That way only new posts "since last visit" will show up next time you hit "new posts".

This is of course if you want to know about more than simply what's in the main RT section. If you don't then you can just rely on the bold-type-indicator to tell you what's new in said section.

Again, I suggest clicking the "new posts" link and once you've sifted through the results, click "mark forums read". That way only new posts "since last visit" will show up next time you hit "new posts".

I don't do that because 2/3 of the new content are for sale threads :D

I hear ya mate.

Fortunately the sub-forum each thread's in is plainly-visible at the end of each entry.

Actually, I can go one better for ya:

Pull up the list and as soon as you see an entry from a forum you want to exclude, click the link tacked onto the title (as described above) to go to that sub-forum.

Top-right you'll see the options to "Mark Read" or "Watch". Click "Mark Read" and this should pop up:

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 1.05.20 pm.jpg

Done. Now your new-posts list will be all you could hope it to be. :thumbsup:

There isn't a way to decide which sections to show up when click to "new posts". I remeber there was an option like that in another forum.

Anyway, if i mark the classifieds as read, the new content is all from the main section ;D

Last edited:
Exactly mate.

It's probably the same number of clicks involved anyway. Click the sub-forum you want excluded, then the "mark read" tab and OK it.

I haven't seen the option you speak of in other forums so if it's a thing it must be rare. All the forums I frequent just have a "generic" "new posts" function.

Well, that's a community platform that's not used by any audio forum I'm aware of, so there's that.

Most of these use phpBB or XenForo AFAICT. This would explain why I haven't seen the option in other forums 'cause I'm only a member of audio and 1 gaming forum (GT Planet).

Anyway, it's neither here nor there 'cause it's a simple matter to mark forums you don't want to see as read.

I almost never click anything on this board other than the main subforum. I agree there's way too much going on. There's not much going on in most of the vendor subsections. But, I also don't care all that much... lol.

Again, the "new posts" link is by far the quickest and easiest way to see "what's going on".

It wouldn't matter if there were 100 sub-forums; everything's gathered into one convenient list.

This place isn’t big enough to justify all the subs. Ye olde Rig Talk size was better.

Thank you for your input Brother Nigel. Here's my response:

There are only 9 sub-forums in the main area (Rig-Talk Discussions).

They're all necessary when you think about it, except perhaps the HCF one, which is there for legacy shits and giggles.

OTC's sub-forums are neatly tucked-away in that section, and sure, there are quite a few, but with the range of subjects possible in an OT sub-forum, it makes sense to at least provide the opportunity for some sort of delineation in order to make things easier-to-find as well as avoid the nightmare that is having only one section where the full plethora of stuff ends up. That'd be a nightmare to navigate / find threads on the subjects you're looking for.

Then there's the Manufacturers' section. Again, all sub-forums tucked-away within it and all created under "deserving" circumstances. If the owners / head/s of a company want a sub-forum there and are willing to service it, they generally get it. The fact that many of the sub-forums haven't seen any action in a while is neither here nor there. Nobody's gonna get punished for that. A new product comes out and bingo, suddenly a sub-forum is active again... but still far away from the main area.

Hopefully this makes sense to you and others who see this. IMHO the layout is logical and in no way OTT.

Most of people post everything in the main section, because is what people read. I never navigate in the others, and suspect many others never do it.
I never understand the need to have subsections for brands... anyway i think it not working so well.
do you live on the 2nd floor? lol...sorry I couldn't help it...

We are only trying to help and grow this forum. I do agree that some of the sub forums are dead and need removed. It is a lot going on but we are trying to offer a resource for people who own, or are looking to purchase, or just want to talk about a product or service. To be honest-I never even go to 20% of the different sections. But it's there if somebody is interested.

Back