What albums or bands would you re-amp??

Iowa blew me away so much that I still remember where I was when I heard it. In Hawaii, while in the military, driving back from the Mall in Honolulu. I had it cranked and sounded like a horror movie.
Same man, I have that with a few albums throughout my teenage years. So crazy how listening to an album 20+ years later can still do that.

I like the tone and the production on Slaughter of the Soul.

But I would love to hear it through what they're playing right now. I bet that record would sound like it was released 15 or 20 years later than it was.
The original is perfect. That gritty and aggressive tone and mix kicks my ass to this day when I put it on. Their current sound is kind of generic “standard modern metal” by comparison. Too many bands are being produced by Jens Bogren, and while some of these albums sound good to me, a lot of his mixes have a kind of soft sound and a bunch of these albums by different bands sound too similar.

What did you think of Dimmu Borgir’s totally reworked version of PEM? The original sounds aggressive as hell - you could argue it goes slightly too far but I greatly prefer it to the redone version which is again a very typical modern sound that comes across flat and soft IMO.

The original is perfect. That gritty and aggressive tone and mix kicks my ass to this day when I put it on. Their current sound is kind of generic “standard modern metal” by comparison. Too many bands are being produced by Jens Bogren, and while some of these albums sound good to me, a lot of his mixes have a kind of soft sound and a bunch of these albums by different bands sound too similar.

What did you think of Dimmu Borgir’s totally reworked version of PEM? The original sounds aggressive as hell - you could argue it goes slightly too far but I greatly prefer it to the redone version which is again a very typical modern sound that comes across flat and soft IMO.

The “remaster” of POE is far and away, no question in my mind, the absolute worst remaster I’ve ever heard in metal. There was fucking ZERO reason to touch that reason. That album was perfect sounding. Bright, aggressive, clear. It is beyond awful and such a slap in the face to such an amazing record.

Also yes, bogrens mixes are soft. Are people not listening? It sounds like Marshmellows sprayed with windex. And im not kidding. I really don’t believe people are listening anymore because his mixes are soft, no edge, the drums sound like marshallmellows, and dark as hell. People are not listening, im convinced.

And yes, touching slaughter of the soul??? Man, weird take on anyone’s part to wanna touch that either.

Well, I didn't say I wanna change it. I love it. It's my favorite record ever. I'm just curious how it would sound with a different guitar sound.

Also, yeah. I didn't like what they did with Puritanical. As it was, that record was perfection. It's Black(ish) Metal! It's supposed to sound edgy and aggressive, just the way it did in the original mix/master.

That being said, I didn't think the mix on At War with Reality was bad by any means. I would've preferred it to be edgier, yes, but it's also really polished. Maybe that's not what that record needed, and maybe I'm biased because I love that comeback album, but I wouldn't change that one, personally.

Last edited:
I make it a habit to pretty much EQ my guitars opposite of Metallica. Mids boosted, bass and treble slightly less than 12 o clock. Being a traditional Heavy Metal guy it's pretty hard to find demos on YT that aren't just chugga chugga djent shit, so I'll often watch Metallica style gear demos and think "yeah this will sound good with the EQ settings changed."
Metallica boost the mids now and sound really really gay, so it just depends. Judas priest, maiden and accept, the boosted mids sound great with that type of metal. Pantera, metallica, not so much!

Metallica sound so bad for so many reasons. Their tones are thin, scratchy, and undergained nowadays, but the music is so watered down and clinging to nostalgia that their bad tones almost fit their bad music.

They're just a bunch of money grubbing washed out old farts right now that their anemic tones almost make sense.

Last edited:
Back