Haven't played in 6 months, now my main guitar sux??

GuitarGuyLP

I haven't played guitar for just over 6 months, I have been moving, and my gear was all in storage. I just got it all out, and set up about 2 weeks ago, and my Ibanez RGA121 which was my #1 guitar for the past 6 years just doesn't feel inspiring anymore. The neck feels way too thin. On the other hand my Les Paul Studio feels great, very inspiring. So I am thinking about selling the Ibanez, and a few other items to buy a PRS S2 Singlecut to go with my Les Paul.

Has anyone else taken a long break, and found that their tastes in guitars has changed radically?
Have your tastes changed back?

Not really the same situation but I find just simply buying a new guitar or amp brings back some inspiration.

GuitarGuyLP":1de13cf8 said:
I haven't played guitar for just over 6 months, I have been moving, and my gear was all in storage. I just got it all out, and set up about 2 weeks ago, and my Ibanez RGA121 which was my #1 guitar for the past 6 years just doesn't feel inspiring anymore. The neck feels way too thin. On the other hand my Les Paul Studio feels great, very inspiring. So I am thinking about selling the Ibanez, and a few other items to buy a PRS S2 Singlecut to go with my Les Paul.

Has anyone else taken a long break, and found that their tastes in guitars has changed radically?
Have your tastes changed back?
My tastes change radically every couple of months, has for many years. Like for a few months I'm completely into 80s thrash and almost everything I listen, play, or GAS is revolving around that. Then something will happen and for a couple months I may get a taste for late 60s rock and my style and gear changes accordingly. Then it may switch to modern metal, then to 70s... Every time I would change I would consider selling the gear not used anymore, but I've learned to not do that. My current tastes may be polar opposites of the gear I have but it's highly likely that my tastes will change again and I'll rotate the unused gear back in. I don't know if this is normal but it's how I've always been, I like it though, helps make a more rounded player.

I stopped playing guitar for a year about 5 years ago to pick up new instruments, but when I picked the guitar back up it took a day to really get back into it. Couple days later and I was right back where I was before my hiatus, then the cycle continued.
So I'd say keep the Ibby, it's very likely you'll want to use it again in the future, even if you don't right now. It's a good reason to have a broad selection of gear.

Thanks for the advice. My style, and tastes haven't really changed. I am still heading the same direction musically I mainly feel the neck shape is the issue. I am not sure if I got used to the super thin neck on the Ibanez, or if it was right for my hands. I am mainly a rhythm player, and I have short arms so the shorter scale seems to work good for me physically. I don't have much space for guitars where I am so two is about my max right now. That is why I am thinking about selling the Ibanez I just want to think about it a lot since it is the longest I have ever owned a guitar. I usually buy, and sell guitars quite often, I have had the Ibanez for over 6 years now.

Hey if you are into charity, I will take that Ibby off of your hands and in return give you my Extended Scale Agile with a perfect neck shape and board radius for you.

Extended scale does not work for me at all, I have short arms, and small hands lol. I have also decided that I am going for either a PRS S2 single cut, or another Les Paul. I basically want an American made single cut style guitar.

I took a long break due to an injury, and was DYING to get back to guitar, and when I was finally able to start playing again, any guitar would have been good, as long as I was able to play!!! so no, my taste didn't change. my guitars were great and I loved playing each and every one of them. but, over the next year and a half I had to sell many to pay medical bills which was a TREMENDOUS bummer as many had sentimental value.

Well I decided to post it for sale locally, along with my Epiphone Zakk Wylde, and my Acoustic. I think it will be a bit tough to sell the Ibanez, and the acoustic, but I don't have much attachment to them. I am not really a sentimental person at least towards guitar gear.

Back