I found this to be a great clip of Evh tone..

ElectricVoodoo

84 tour, MTV contest winner.
The audio is so good on Ed guitar. You really can hear how dry it is, imperfect playing and all. I love it!!
Just raw guitar.

For those that say Ed couldn't get his VH1 tone live. I present to you VH live in Paris France, 1978 world tour. These guys were on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is probably the best audio from the tour that I have heard.

harddriver":cz9zcjb6 said:
For those that say Ed couldn't get his VH1 tone live. I present to you VH live in Paris France, 1978 world tour. These guys were on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is probably the best audio from the tour that I have heard.

That is a great audience recorded show but the best sounding stuff from that ‘78 tour is the soundboard Oaklahoma show and there’s some great quality shows from the London leg of the tour

shade":88m7yncq said:
his tone was good... but is it me or did they blow live? Never saw em in concert.

I won't get into "they" as far as live goes because I've only seen VH with Dave in 2014 so not really a fair assessment. I will say this. Ed's tone on that tour was unreal. A wall of brown sound coming over the crowd and I could hear every little intricate awesome note from his fingers. Kicked ass.

There are a lot of folks here on the forum who have seen them back in the day though.

Never seen Van Halen live.
Seen DLR on Eat em and smile. Great show.
I remember lot of the Purists were complaining about the comeback 2014. Saying EVH tone was horrible. To much gain.
So I can’t play either side of it. But I loved his new amps. :thumbsup:

I never saw VH in the 80's, but I saw the Hagar reunion in 04 which wasnt that good, and then I saw the DLR reunion in 07 which was much better. I'd hardly call his tone on either of those tours, brown. In all honesty, I haven't cared much for his tone in the last almost 20 years. But to each their own.

I've seen VH twice live. Staples show in 2003/2004...damn did it suck. Ed was all whacked out, IMO. Can't remember the other show that well...it was the 80's. LOL

I saw them for the first time on 5150 in 1986 and every tour thereafter. His live tone in the Sammy era was fantastic, way, way better than on the albums. I love the EVH 5150 amps, but his tone with them doesn't approach the old stuff with the Marshalls and Soldanos.

Rick Lee":y104zone said:
His live tone in the Sammy era was fantastic, way, way better than on the albums. I love the EVH 5150 amps, but his tone with them doesn't approach the old stuff with the Marshalls and Soldanos.
Someone recently posted this Sammy era 'free show' in Dallas '91...

found it:

I never really cared for Sammy, always been a DLR man myself, but that show was a really good sounding band... tight playing, good tone (although it won't touch VH1 era brown sound). It really made me re-think my position on Sammy-VH. :salute:

Back