What’s your threshold?

mystixboi

What is your price threshold when purchasing a guitar to play out at a gig? I am fortunate enough to have some nice guitars that cost over $2000. I have no problems bringing them to gigs. This past summer, I bought a $4300 PRS and, as wonderful as it was, I didn’t feel comfortable playing it out. To clarify, I could afford it. I just felt uneasy bringing it to rehearsals let alone a show.

So I guess around 2000 to 2500 is my limit of comfort owning and playing a guitar out. I just don’t enjoy the uneasy feeling I get when owning and gigging the higher priced guitars.

How about you?

I gig all my gear, including custom shop ESPs and Mark IIC+es. I know the audience doesn't care, but it makes me feel / play better. That being said, if I were playing places where I though it would be a good idea to have my G19 IWB my answer might change.

Here's a question. If you had 3 of those PRS, would your answer change?

Playing out live 1500 on a guitar. Also only amps that I can replace quite easily. I have several nice guitars.. 3 or 4 but I waited a year or more for each one and I couldn't replace either of them. But I usually play music where people stage dive, slam dance etc and I never play venues large enough for that security barrier. I don't want to worry about either getting destroyed

All of my gear gets used. What is the point of keeping it beautiful if you never get a chance to use it or put it in plastic wrap? I mean, if you are buying it as an investment in the future then a-ok but guitars need to be played and enjoyed. There are also those that like to collect as a hobby and that is also fine. You never know where the values will go on anything. I don't buy things for investment purposes. I buy them because I enjoy using them.

I have 2 J-Customs, one way more expensive than the other as well as a couple of Ibanez Pia's.
I use them live and at rehearsals all the time. I'm not selling them so if they get a bump or ding here and there, so be it.

When I stop playing live, then I will probably pair it down to just a couple of guitars for home but for now I am enjoying the heck out of these!

This is crazy to me, if I was to spend that kind of money I’m damn well gonna play and enjoy it lol
Yeah I fall into this category. If I buy it, I'm playing it wherever. If it gets dinged then so be it.

I remember banging the headstock of my PRS on a light truss one time and chipped off one of the points completely. Picked it up, threw the piece in the case and glued it back on later lol. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to puke for a quick second but that passes quickly. Funny note on another one of my PRS's, playing a gig, drummer busts his stick, it flies across the stage hitting the front of my guitar. Now the coating...no scratch, still smooth as glass, not even an indention. But the paint underneath, the color itself, you could see where it was pressed in or indented where the tip of the stick hit. Never seen anything like that on a guitar before.

I get it, some look like furniture and cost a small fortune but they're meant to be played.

Last edited:
I spend the most money on amps…my band (up till 2017 when I stopped playing out) would always laugh at a different amp every weekend. C+, Jubilees, SLO, modded Marshalls it all varied. Guitars, the most I’ve spent has been 2K on a Charvel custom years back. I gigged it. My other Charvels are mint from USA run 08/09, paid 5-700 for each. Gigged them too.
Of course each are now worth 2K especially in their condition.
But, if I forked over 8k on a 1984 Silverburst LP, I’d still gig it. It would come home every night though.

I play with everything. Fuck it! I wouldn’t buy something that I didn’t play, like a dumble. On a different note, I have some very rare guns in my collection that I would never ever shoot. Too much money invested to risk cracking a stock or blown receiver. Rare occurrence but potential is there. Those will be sold at some point. The guitars and gears with be covered in dirt with me for the worms to feast on.

Back