Mesa metal grill/half back vs traditional

itsgoodnow

Hey all,

I have a few half back/metal grill mesa cabs. I also have the Marshall mode four mf280 cabinet. I’ve also owned a lot of mesa oversized cabs and Marshall cabs over the years. I’ve never owned a stilletto/traditional mesa. I have closed both parts of my mesa metal grill cabs as I wanted them more focused and tight.

I wanted to see from people with experience if I am missing anything not have a traditional and if anyone could compare the two. Thanks.

The Traditional Mesa is FAR tighter than your Recto/MF 280 cabs. Compared to the half back, I've only owned them with C90/EV and open top half; never had a panel to make it totally enclosed. So I can't comment on the half back/closed vs the Traditional.
They are different enough from the standard/OS cab to warrant owning one. If you want a tighter response out of a Recto for instance.

The Traditional Mesa is FAR tighter than your Recto/MF 280 cabs. Compared to the half back, I've only owned them with C90/EV and open top half; never had a panel to make it totally enclosed. So I can't comment on the half back/closed vs the Traditional.
They are different enough from the standard/OS cab to warrant owning one. If you want a tighter response out of a Recto for instance.
That’s helpful. I may pick one up now

This sounds cool

I have owned many of all of the above. Racer pretty much covered it, I'll add that tonally a half back cab is a rock cab and the Recto cabs are metal cabs, generally speaking, and they sound nothing like each other.

IMO if I could only have ONE cab, no question it would be a Mesa Traditional straight.

I have owned many of all of the above. Racer pretty much covered it, I'll add that tonally a half back cab is a rock cab and the Recto cabs are metal cabs, generally speaking, and they sound nothing like each other.

IMO if I could only have ONE cab, no question it would be a Mesa Traditional straight.

Was about to say the same thing. My traditional straight is my favorite 412 by a good margin. Great overall cabinet, and pairs with other amplifiers much better than the OS in my opinion (I find it can get a bit 'unbalanced' with certain amplifiers - harder to dial out that scoop/low end rumble).

The traditional will sound different from the 1/2 back cabs. Different designs.

I had a bunch of 1/2 back cabs. Had a few that had the tops sealed by Mesa with a press in back board so it was completely sealed. It was an option that could be ordered. The cabs were from a tour by Anthrax.

One of the beast half back cabs I had was a very early version. It was actually 4 inches deeper than the regular 1/2 back cabs. I learned this when picking it up. I couldn’t close my trunk door 🤣 bottom right of the pic.

1675004961583.jpeg

The traditional will sound different from the 1/2 back cabs. Different designs.

I had a bunch of 1/2 back cabs. Had a few that had the tops sealed by Mesa with a press in back board so it was completely sealed. It was an option that could be ordered. The cabs were from a tour by Anthrax.

One of the beast half back cabs I had was a very early version. It was actually 4 inches deeper than the regular 1/2 back cabs. I learned this when picking it up. I couldn’t close my trunk door 🤣 bottom right of the pic.

View attachment 158956
Dude, let us know when a cabinet super sale is coming soon?
I’ll buy all of them and rent a Penske 14ft truck
and come and get them, tonight if you’re ready?
Cash-Cash only.

I have 4 of the metal grill half back cabs from the 80s.Some of the biggest,deepest 4x12s i have ever seen.2 have the top panels on and 2 dont. The kicker is theyre all empty as I didn't like the speakers that were in them so I'm loading 2 with v30s,and 2 with 65s- when I can get to it.im not much help.yet.lol

Back